DS Game Video Captures

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by CannonFoddr, Jun 11, 2009.

Jun 11, 2009

DS Game Video Captures by CannonFoddr at 3:21 AM (1,336 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. CannonFoddr
    OP

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Bit of a silly question & I bet I've put this in the wrong forum anyway,
    but I was wondering how all those Game Review Sites (Like IGN etc) manage to get clear gameplay videos of DS games ?

It's not as though they've somehow connected up the DS to a video recorder or something, & they definately can't be using a video camera to record the screen (we've all seen how they come out - blurred & shaky)

I'm guessing that what they use is a DS emulator & Game ROM on a PC then using video capture software to grab the gameplay that way

Does anyone actually know how they do it & would it work also with Homebrew ??

2. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    Why not?

3. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    They have a special unit to do it. Nintendo sent out a ds with the capture unit attached to it when the ds launched. Its a pretty big machine (almost as big as normal desktop tower). They can't disconnect the ds from the machine though.

4. Technik

Member Technik GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    PRove it. I beleive you i just want a source to read the rest at

5. asdf

Member asdf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    When the DS launched, Nintendo sent out capture devices connected to the DS to certain people, such as Gamespot, IGN, etc. The capture card is called "Nitro" after the DS's codename. From my understanding, the DS's compatible with the recording device have an extra port, but correct me if I'm wrong.

6. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    Yeah, there are special DS capture devices. I've seen pictures of it somewhere, I also remember hearing that Cyclo was going to implement that feature in their firmware a while ago. Not sure how that ended up though.

7. CannonFoddr
    OP

United Kingdom
    The main reason is that the DS doesn't have any dedicated ports for TV/Video connection, unlike a Wii, PS3 or XBox

However as mentioned in the other posts - it seems that it's a specialized piece of equipment that's used,
    which is a shame as I was hoping that if it was possible (as in PC/Emulator/Screen Grabbing software combo) then proper 'clear' videos of Homebrew can be made instead of the usual 'shaky blurred' ones we usually see

8. zero383

Member zero383 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Shaky? Blurred?

It's called a tripod and good lighting. [​IMG]

Macro mode feature helps too.

9. Reaper

Member Reaper Tͩ͒ͥ̈́ͧ̓͑̆̂

United States
    A guy made a video of him playing the DS and it was on his computer monitor. He took apart the DS and it was connected with some stuff

10. CannonFoddr
    OP

United Kingdom
    Nice to know - but where's the link ??

11. Tony_92

Newcomer Tony_92 Advanced Member

Finland
    You're probably talking about this: http://home.comcast.net/~olimar/DS/jumbotron/

12. CannonFoddr
    OP

United Kingdom
    Wow - looks bloody brilliant, but somehow I don't think anyone going to go that far just for better screen movies

Since I've posted - I've actually been looking at DS emulation & Screen grabbing (using Hypercam) & I think it may be possible, however I'm having trouble with the Emulators that I'm trying out (No$GBA and Ideas).

With No$GBA - I'm getting 'screen corruption'. The screen graphics are usually 'offcentred' or not showing at all, while with Ideas - when the screen changes - it locks up (the ROM I'm trying BTW is 'Starly'). It seems that the emulators don't like homebrew which is a shame, they just lock up

Perhaps it's the way I'm runnng them or the way they're setup or something. But I may keep plugging away (time permitting) to see if there is a way

UPDATE:
    Well I've finally figured out the problems
    I'm using no$GBA & the problem with screen corruption is that N0$GBA doesn't support 'latest ROMS' & guess what 'Startly' is !!
    As for homebrew - I think it's really down to how they're programmed. Moonshell doesn't work but StillAliveDS does

13. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    http://www.warioworld.com/

That is nintendo's official website for developer's. Part of the development kit is a specially modified system that allows you to run unfinished code as well as hook up to a larger display. Review websites get a similar device (or maybe an identical device...) that allow them to get screen captures for review purposes. This is because nintendo wants the publicity. They want all their game images to look their absolute best.

14. Nintendo

Newcomer Nintendo Member

I've seen that one. Pretty cool. There's also this (which I think can also be seen on the Jumbotron page with a video of it):

[​IMG]

Which was used to make this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMezPfk8Zq4

And other videos from that same YouTube user: http://www.youtube.com/user/Buoysel

There's some discussion about it on Speed Demos Archive (link), but so far it looks like nobody else has managed to create one.