DS #DSi 0128: PokÃmon Weisse Edition (Germany)

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
WTF Why SS instead of ß? All Germans know that letter(I am Dutch and I do as well!)

Ghehe not so happy they did not make a Dutch version.

Pokémon Zwart versie
Pokémon Wit versie

xD

Ultralex

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Lightning said:
WTF Why SS instead of ß? All Germans know that letter(I am Dutch and I do as well!
I think they used ss because a ß in this Font would look dumb.
And no,it isn't because of the Nazis.

StarWolf3000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This is correct writing: "Weiße"

Why? Because "ß" is written after a so-called "Diphtong" (double vocal), here "ei" (say: "ai").

So the "ss" in "Weisse" is probably wrong and only for decoration of the logo/cover.

If we would write "weiß(e)" with "ss" instead of "ß" in German Lessons at School, then it is marked wrong.

Not to be confused with "weis" which means "know" (from "knowledge").

pizza4D

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wow, so many posts from Germans and not one of you realizes that ß is simply a small letter that has no capital letter equivalent. Thus, words with an "ß" are written with "SS" when written completely in caps. The only exceptions are family names, where the ß is kept for caps to indicate the spelling, and Swiss people, who don't use the ß at all and write everything with "ss" instead. Also, writing "ss" instead of "ß" is applicable when the person typing it is unable to use that character (or just can't be bothered) - just like with "oe" instead of "ö". I doubt that any of the mods who post new releases here has a keyboard with a "ß" key.
Setzen, Sechs! Back to school with you, and leave your flashcarts at home.

The game's logo is all caps, as you might notice (see those "E"?), so naturally they didn't type "WEIßE" which would look utterly retarded regardless of what font they would use because it's a mix of small and capital letters. And as a side effect the logo doesn't look awkward to Swiss customers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Oh snap Super Offroad was by them too? lol damn +1