Ds doesn't start

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by APyroli, Mar 27, 2012.

Mar 27, 2012

Ds doesn't start by APyroli at 4:15 PM (512 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. APyroli
    OP

Newcomer APyroli Member

Bolivia
    Hi,
    Since a few months now my ds (old grey DS) top screen didn't work properly, it tended to go white or freeze, and I had to move it a bit to make it work. Obviously bothering in many games. I opened it and check the ribbon, rubbed it very lightly with cotton and a drop of medicinal alcool to clean it (it was kinda dusty). I realized there was a small scratch on the ribbon, but apart from that, it looks fine.
    And after putting everything back in place, it doesn't work. The green light comes on... the bottom screen light flashes white for a split second... then it shuts off. I don't think it's the battery because the light flashes green, and if i plug it, the orange light turns on and it seems it's charging.
    Anything I could do to put it back to work?

2. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    The DS wont turn on unless it detects the top and bottom screens. This is a common indicator that the top screen probably has ribbon damage. That scratch might be a crack.
    Of course you might have a blown fuse or moisture build up. Do you blow into your L and/or R buttons alot to fix them?

3. APyroli
    OP

Newcomer APyroli Member

Bolivia
    No, never did actually. My R button works fine, and the L button doesn't but as i have the tri wings screwdriver, i usually open the ds to clean the buttons. How can i make sure of the blown fuse or the ribbon? Is it this motherboard fuse that you have to check with a multimeter or is there any others?
    Or might it be that I didn't put the ribbon back properly? I forget to mention that I did took it off its "sock" or whatever it's called. Do you think it will help if I open the ds again and try to pull the ribbon off and on again? (i know about the small thing you have to lift to pop the ribbon free)

4. BORTZ

United States
    That might be it. I cant be certain.

5. APyroli
    OP

Newcomer APyroli Member

Bolivia
    Well, I did took off and on again the ribbon, nothing happen, so i think the ribbon is dead, i guess i'll just have to buy another one. Thanks for your help anyway!

6. BORTZ

United States
    Yeah sorry about your luck. Sometimes it just happens.

7. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    If it turns out to be the fuse, you can use copper wire instead of it without any damage to the DS. If it's the ribbon then you need another one, but I doubt that'd be the case unless you can clearly see that it's torn somewhere.