Hacking DS carts...

kaymm2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does anyone know why Nintendo decided to make a new card slot? Could they not have made all DS games fit in the GBA slot? Make them all the size of the dust cover. Don't get me wrong, I like the new DS carts, smaller, nicer looking. But I'm just wondering why they came out with a new form factor.

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
I guess carts just generally get smaller from generation to generation. Compare GB -> GBA -> DS. See also, CF -> SD -> MiniSD -> MicroSD.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They wanted something that could be protected (hence the RSA encryption), something small, and something that would still have little to no load times.

Enter the DS cart.

It also drives people to upgrade because the 'form factor' is different, and clearly differentiates DS software from GBA software.

neojei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At first they didn't want the DS to be the GBA's successor, so thats why it isn't backwards compatible with anything before gba. DS carts are just like their own, that's how I understand it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all...