DS carts...

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by kaymm2, Aug 10, 2006.

Aug 10, 2006

DS carts... by kaymm2 at 9:31 PM (885 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. kaymm2
    OP

Newcomer kaymm2 Advanced Member

Canada
    Does anyone know why Nintendo decided to make a new card slot? Could they not have made all DS games fit in the GBA slot? Make them all the size of the dust cover. Don't get me wrong, I like the new DS carts, smaller, nicer looking. But I'm just wondering why they came out with a new form factor.

2. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    If they were the same size as the dust cover then they wouldn't work in the DS phat.

3. Mucuna

Member Mucuna GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    I don't know. Maybe because it is easy to pirate a GBA card?

Here in centre of Rio de Janeiro is easy to find everygame for GBA. All a legitime pirate version, aye!

But really don't know why.

4. pelago

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
    I guess carts just generally get smaller from generation to generation. Compare GB -> GBA -> DS. See also, CF -> SD -> MiniSD -> MicroSD.

5. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    They wanted something that could be protected (hence the RSA encryption), something small, and something that would still have little to no load times.

Enter the DS cart.

It also drives people to upgrade because the 'form factor' is different, and clearly differentiates DS software from GBA software.

6. neojei

Member neojei GBAtemp Regular

United States
    At first they didn't want the DS to be the GBA's successor, so thats why it isn't backwards compatible with anything before gba. DS carts are just like their own, that's how I understand it.