DS carts...

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by kaymm2, Aug 10, 2006.

1. kaymm2
    OP

kaymm2 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 2, 2005
    Canada
    Does anyone know why Nintendo decided to make a new card slot? Could they not have made all DS games fit in the GBA slot? Make them all the size of the dust cover. Don't get me wrong, I like the new DS carts, smaller, nicer looking. But I'm just wondering why they came out with a new form factor.

2. science

science science rules

Jun 9, 2006
    Canada
    If they were the same size as the dust cover then they wouldn't work in the DS phat.

3. Mucuna

Mucuna GBAtemp Fan

Jul 28, 2006
    Brazil
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I don't know. Maybe because it is easy to pirate a GBA card?

Here in centre of Rio de Janeiro is easy to find everygame for GBA. All a legitime pirate version, aye!

But really don't know why.

4. pelago

pelago Member

Feb 20, 2006
    I guess carts just generally get smaller from generation to generation. Compare GB -> GBA -> DS. See also, CF -> SD -> MiniSD -> MicroSD.

5. Lily

Lily One Scary Lady

Former Staff
    Jun 18, 2004
    Canada
    British Columbia
    They wanted something that could be protected (hence the RSA encryption), something small, and something that would still have little to no load times.

Enter the DS cart.

It also drives people to upgrade because the 'form factor' is different, and clearly differentiates DS software from GBA software.

6. neojei

neojei GBAtemp Regular

Jun 20, 2006
    United States
    At first they didn't want the DS to be the GBA's successor, so thats why it isn't backwards compatible with anything before gba. DS carts are just like their own, that's how I understand it.