DS #5195: The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest (Europe)

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy ****! Was wondering if this would ever get dumped. Thanks to whomever put it out in the wild.
gba.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, this game looks good. Plays decent, kinda like a poor man's Diablo, but visually, it sure is hella impressive for DS. Lots of smooth textures and animations, no real slowdown thus far. Solid mechanics, though not perfect. Ain't played enough of it to understand why IGN shat upon it, but this is definitely right up my alley, at least as far as guilty pleasures go.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems like a fun little mindless beat'em-up. I rather like mindless beat'em-ups. Not sure what IGN was talking about "drab textures".....they look fine to me....walking around LOTR enviroments never was sunshine-and-rainbows, not sure what they expected.

Personally, I'm playing it just because it isn't full of cutesy.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, was just gonna say that.

One thing I'm finding kind of a pain is the map, especially when the directions you press to run around don't necessarily correspond to your map movement in the top screen. You run directly to the right with the dpad, but on the map, it shows you running at a diagonal or a different direction altogether. Couple that with the sorta abstract graphics of the map itself (which are hard to look at, at a glance) and it makes the map a LOT less useful than it could have been. If you try to use the map to navigate, it takes too long to look at, and then figure the alternate dpad presses needed to go the desired direction on the map. It's a minor annoyance, yes, but an annoyance all the same and it could have been done better than that.

And yes, those video cut scenes are painfully slow and boring......hit SELECT to skip them and go straight to the action.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
One thing I'm finding kind of a pain is the map, especially when the directions you press to run around don't necessarily correspond to your map movement in the top screen. You run directly to the right with the dpad, but on the map, it shows you running at a diagonal or a different direction altogether....

So, it's not just me, then. Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when traversing the snowy area (think it's called Caradhras). Still...it's kinda satisfying, especially if you're into the whole Middle-earth thing. It's been a while, but I loved the LotR and Simarillion books years ago. This is a nice novelty for me.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still wish they would re-make the GBA LotR games, they were the shit, and I still go back to them every now and then.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far