DS #5144: Dawn of Heroes (USA)

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh, the art style doesn't bother me all that much. It's kind of uninspired and freakish-looking, but it doesn't ruin the game for me. I actually think they did an impressive job otherwise with the presentation. You get a lot of cool camera pans, something you'd only really expect from Square on DS. The Fair Fight thing is kind of growing on me. At first, I wasn't all that keen on the idea of only being able to attack a single enemy twice while there were other enemies on the battlefield, but after more play, it seems to work. I'm also really surprised by how much variety there is so far in terms of locales and enemies. I've only done about five missions so far, but every location has something unique to offer.

quacko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was so looking forward to this game last year. Now I've waited for so long I completely forgot about it until I saw the announcement. Going to be pretty hard to get my attention from the great stuff going on right now.

Man18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goli said:
I think it looks good but the art style is crap :/.
Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
lol, i saw the awesome cover art then i saw the gameplay its worse than dragon quest 9

Man18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quacko said:
I was so looking forward to this game last year. Now I've waited for so long I completely forgot about it until I saw the announcement. Going to be pretty hard to get my attention from the great stuff going on right now.
just bought halo reach and was going to try this dawn of heros out tonight so your game attention span > mine

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
it is a big name and the fact tht it was pushed quite some times may be due to a rethink in the game or probably so major problems... hopefully the first one
there is still a need for realtime strategy games but i guess this is even nice

PS - Even more strange is tht the RSS doesnt work for me... other websites do

noname9889

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
shakirmoledina said:
it is a big name and the fact tht it was pushed quite some times may be due to a rethink in the game or probably so major problems... hopefully the first one
there is still a need for realtime strategy games but i guess this is even nice

PS - Even more strange is tht the RSS doesnt work for me... other websites do
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/956867-dawn...heroes/54973636

The reason why it got pushed back is there. its more Nintendo incompetence then anything else.

pichon64

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uruguay
Everytime I try some of these strategy games (the turn based ones) I get wiped out in matter of seconds. If this is aimed at kids maybe there's a chance for me...

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
games pretty good it's even got wi-fi. LOL better then pokemon black and white imo (even through pokemon is in japan letters) i wish i can find someone on wi-fi to play through...

jibtek

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Sank a couple of hours in this and even though the art style is pretty ridiculous and the interface (especially inventory management) can be wonky at times, it's a surprisingly solid game.

You could say it's a SRPG-lite as far as stats and abilities goes but in actual battle it actually gets pretty deep. I'm only in the 4th region but every single character I have is useful, no filler here. All of them has a pretty unique move set and you really need to adjust your party in certain battles. The Fair Play mechanic (you can only attack or use an ability on an enemy twice per turn) is somewhat frustrating at first but it works pretty well once you get used to it.

Overall, we're far from FFT or Fire Emblem here but if you're into this type of game, give it a couple of missions.

Idan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
shackol101 said:
After I defeat the Judge I get stuck the next spot was locked and it's said it need a red key, Where could i find it?

You can buy the key at the store. there are two locked locations, and only one key-so maybe it needs a second playthrough to do the other one?

jibtek

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
shackol101 said:
After I defeat the Judge I get stuck the next spot was locked and it's said it need a red key, Where could i find it?

You get in in the store in the 2nd region.

Not worth buying it at this point (unless you did a LOT of grinding for cash) if you ask me.

Ezekial01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Hidden objections generally require the orange/red "quest items" to be used. When you figure them out they make sense. Worm + giant Bird, Dragon egg to dragon, Book written by a Sage to Sage Miyagi etc. There's no real harm to trying quest items randomly as you can restart a battle with no penalty and if you use the correct item the battle ends immediately.

All in all despite this games ugliness and the somewhat slow pace of the battles its really pretty solid and moderately difficult all around.

And of course if you're having trouble Banish scrolls + hard guild missions = infinite money = Banish scrolls for normal battles = cakewalk for everything except bosses.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm thinking about getting a 1tb SD card and booting batocera just for pc emulation