Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
its such a great game but this is the port not worth playing, at all, for any reason.

too bad they didn't fix all the problems like the crappy display, blurry graphics, and impossible to read clock face numbers.

-another world

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Myst and its sequels are truly great games. This was such a horribly done port; the images weren't resized well and all the added features either don't work or remain simply useless. It's a shame too, as this could have been awesome on the DS. I still hope to see a Riven port one day, but not if it's as badly done as this one.

B

ball2012003

SylvWolf said:
Myst and its sequels are truly great games. This was such a horribly done port; the images weren't resized well and all the added features either don't work or remain simply useless. It's a shame too, as this could have been awesome on the DS. I still hope to see a Riven port one day, but not if it's as badly done as this one.
what are you talking about the game is horrible to me
i cant stand playing it for more that a few minutes
where the hell is the story you just start in a place knowing nothing

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
A game that just had a chance to be good, if it wasn't so weak for a DS game. It's like they used screenshots from the real game, fogged them up and made a slideshow with them, then turn it into a game.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Supposedly, this adds an extra age and improves the graphics. I don't know if the previous version had the extra age.....in fact, I never played the previous version to know if there really is any difference between that one and this one beyond the publisher, but the boxart says there are improvements, not to mention the product link seems to suggest that it is improved over the previous version:

http://stormcitygames.com/myst#gp

I played this on PC (which was the first game released on CD for PC, if I remember correctly) way back when it originally came out.....even with the new age added I don't think I could tolerate playing through it again, especially if it's as bad as people say on the DS.

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ball2012003 said:
SylvWolf said:
what are you talking about the game is horrible to me
i cant stand playing it for more that a few minutes
where the hell is the story you just start in a place knowing nothing

Yeah that's the point. You have no idea what's going on and have to explore around to find the story (there might have been some kind of intro thing that explained the basic story but I don't remember). There's enough literature to get the gist of what happened, and you figure out more as you go through the game, adding to the mystery. It's an older game, and certainly doesn't hold the player's hand like games do nowadays, but that's part of its charm: it's up to you to figure out and believe what you want, until the end. This port is terrible and isn't worth playing, but the game itself is really good.

On a side note, it'd be cool to see a fully updated version of Real Myst. Rime was one of my favorite ages ever in a Myst game; playing around with the lights and the crystal viewer was so fun.

EDIT:
QUOTE(Rayder @ Jul 28 2010, 10:50 PM)
Supposedly, this adds an extra age
They added Rime to the 2D picture version? Huh, it'd be worth checking out if so.

shango46

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The PC game was awesome when it first came out, but to go back and try to play it now is a nightmare. As for the DS port, I think I will be passing on it.

One good thing that helps explain this game tremendously (indirectly of course!) is the book series that was made. Myst: Book of A'trus, Myst: Book of Ti'Ana, and Myst: Book of D'ni. All three are a very good read.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
there was a game with a similar problem... the lead char was a woman, there were some movie cutscenes and all but bad controls and u dont know what to do
its strange as to how the developers can miss something as important as this

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Joe88 said:
I cant believe someone actually made a release group called AngelBeats...
I know, right? Damn weeaboos!
mad.gif

As for this game: I don't notice anything new in it compared to the previous version, what are these guys talking about? Did they perhaps fix a typo and now slap a big 'NEW' logo on the cover?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ellie said:
As for this game: I don't notice anything new in it compared to the previous version, what are these guys talking about? Did they perhaps fix a typo and now slap a big 'NEW' logo on the cover?

The trailer says:

QUOTE said:
Immerse yourself in 6 worlds/ages including a NEW age
Newly remastered audio & video!
The Notepad, Magnifying Glass, and Map tools aid in your exploration
Simple Touch Screen interface allows easy navigation

The website (http://stormcitygames.com/myst) has a typo:

Search spectacular Myst Island and unravel mysteries to discover the dramatic of the past.

The dramatic of the past?

I never played the previous DS version (only the original PC version), but the screen shots on their site looks like they ran a sharpen filter on the graphics rather than going back and rescaling them from the originals. You'd think if they actually "remastered" them that they would have gotten rid of the black border around the images and made them a little larger.

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BakerMan, every since his partner left luke hasn't been the same