Trophies
XP
Country
United States
952472_20081119_screen001.jpg
952472_20081119_screen003.jpg
952472_20081119_screen005.jpg

QUOTE said:
Powerbike packs burnouts, wheelies, breakneck speed and insane aerial stunts into one wild motorcycle racer. When an anonymous benefactor offers to sponsor your ride, it's time to show the amateurs how it's done. The race may be dangerous, but the winner takes all in this high octane DS experience.

Test your skills on 8 insane courses from the open desert to the heavily congested urban streets to a shipyard, and more!
* Use winnings to upgrade your bike's speed, acceleration, traction and stability.
* Earn cash by flaunting your tricks in Stunt Mode, performing jumps, burnouts, wheelies, drifting, and more
* Take part in 3 speed-fueled race modes on each track to earn winnings
* Jump obstacles including trains, bridges and traffic as you work to evade the cops
* Race or go head to head in Stunt Mode with a friend in local DS multiplayer

Will give it a try, I did enjoy that Motorcross game that came out last year though it had its problems.

Donato_Dobango

Trophies
Website
www.fairuseradio.com
XP
Country
United States
It plays like a bad Road Rash clone with bad physics and none of the things that make Road Rash fun.

I love me some classic Genesis Road Rash and I loved me some Motorcross Maniacs, so I was hoping this game would be a good fill-in for either of those games until we get a DS remake.

It is not. BAH-leted.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Donato_Dobango said:
It plays like a bad Road Rash clone with bad physics and none of the things that make Road Rash fun.

I love me some classic Genesis Road Rash and I loved me some Motorcross Maniacs, so I was hoping this game would be a good fill-in for either of those games until we get a DS remake.

It is not. BAH-leted.

Heh, yeah, this had me thinking Road Rash too. EA really needs to bring that franchise back. The 3D0 version was the best....the PSX original version is basically the same thing, I have a hacked version on PC (which is also the same), but all the vids were cut. Played the hell out of the Genesis and 3D0 versions. Lumping some fool until he fell off his bike, or seeing them slam in to a car was too much fun. Later versions of Road Rash were ruined by EA though. They still need to bring the franchise back though. Just keep it more like the 3D0 version with improved graphics and they'd have a winner.

This game though.....I don't know....the track seemed way too long and boring, and when the cops are after you, how do you avoid them? They just touch you and you wreck. Wreck 3 times and race over. To be honest though, I only raced the time trial and first A.I. race though, so maybe there's something I haven't figured out yet when it comes to the cops. I also seemed to quickly end up being negative in cash. Seems like it could be a good game, but I'll have to play it more before I'll know for sure. It might be less boring once you upgrade your bike and are able to go faster, not to mention figuring out what they had in mind for you to do about the cops.

I did notice a few things about the controls. Push down on the d-pad to do a wheelie (adds money). The shoulder buttons help you steer around corners better.....leaning, I guess.

I'll tell ya though, this has a great engine in place to be used in a Road Rash game for DS. It's also the first game in a long time that I felt the need to put on my flashcart. Been a long stream of crap (or RPG's, which I'm not interested in) released lately.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried it and...meh. Not my thing. Doesn't seem to be much wrong with the game, though I think the controls are a bit awkward in how they're mapped. Not very exciting so far, though.

EEragon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I've played this, and no.... It's not that good as it looks like.

Really: The controls are stuff and not flexibel. You can only ride 80 m/h wich is looks like 15 m/h on that little DS-screen. And tha story itself is so boring as ...

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, played a few more levels....not so great. When you do a jump, you have to push up on the dpad to level your bike before landing, problem is, knowing what's level by looking at your rider's back. You end up crashing most of the time with some dude saying, "Watch your wheel position", but you have no way of telling what the correct position the game is looking for. If you don't crash after a jump, it's more by luck than anything else.

During time trial mode, you have to pull a constant wheelie or other annoying stuff to have enough time to finish your lap. While playing some of the races, you will have crap in the road to dodge (looks like sections of a train or something), but if you're doing a wheelie (which is necessary for gaining cash and turbo), you can't turn very well, so you end up slamming into the crap in the road. Hitting the brake will drop your front end, but not nearly as quickly as it should, so you crash.

What they call A.I. races is a joke. Right off the starting line, you leave the "Artificial Ignorance" in the dust and never see them again, other than the dots in the map on the bottom screen that designate them as the A.I.

Stunt mode is ridiculous in that it will make you do the stunt over and over again until you do it just the way they wanted it.

They should have gotten rid of the lame stunts and unrealistic obstacles in the road, tweak the handling a bit and made a Road Rash clone instead. At least that would have been fun. They have a pretty nice gaming engine here that could have supported Road Rash very well, too bad it was wasted on a terribly uninspired mess of a concept.

It's as if none of the people who programmed this game ever rode even a bicycle, let alone a motorcycle.

X D D X

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
This is an ok game. It also reminds me of Road Rash but with really bad handling. The courses are way too long but i kinda like the stunt mode. I was expecting more from the customising part too.

Like Rayder says, it could've been a lot better.

saxamo

Spaaaaace!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love the amount of in depth review this game has garnered in the first page! Thanks guys for helping me to make a more education decision about this one. Wish that other topics could be quality like this.
yaynds.gif

Donato_Dobango

Trophies
Website
www.fairuseradio.com
XP
Country
United States
What sucks is Road Rash or even a Road Rash clone would be so much easier to make than what this game turned out to be.

Road Rash doesn't need a "track" just a stretch of highway with twists and turns.

Road Rash doesn't need time trials or stupid stunts forced upon you to speed up.

If they just loosened the controls and did away with the tracks and just let us road race with punching, this game would be an A++++

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    light27 @ light27: call sps