Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
my experience with this
- got excited by comment telling how awesome this game is it
- went trough tutorial
- scratched my head at the fact that the shop offers you no help of "what's better"
- scratched my head when i discovered that the game won't freaking tell you if a weapon is better or worse of what you currently had
- yawned at the somewhat slow combat made even slower by the fact that the game seems to like to throw enemies at you in group of 8
- got enough experience to level up my guys to 3
- scratched my head when one of my guys gained 1 HP (ZOMG THE UPGRADE!) after leveling up
- reached the basement
- got my priest instantkilled by 11 thief enemy
- succesfull runned away
- reached a church
- "can you revive my pal? he got mauled by an horde of ravaging thief" "sure give me a huuuuuuuge pile of gold"
- turned this off disappointed

there is old school and obtuse... etrian might be old school but this game is just obtuse,would it have killed them to put at least actual numbers on item you can equip? why the game doesn't give you these info nor why the HP gain after leveling up is random makes no sense to me besides increasing the game difficulty in an artificial way and make it feel like a chore,especialy when you can save anywhere

edwardorito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
COOL! Can't wait to play this! Making it an old-school RPG makes it more interesting. I have got to tell you when I play RPGs I stick with them. Hope it's great!
yaynds.gif

Isabelyes

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
many thanks, sfunk!

...i'm so gonna over-use my mage's AC-lowering spell on my allies...

and I love the classic style!
it's just so pure, nothing that distracts you, the enemies are more beautiful IMO,
and everything goes MUCH faster.

wonder if the elevators work like the geomagnetic fields in EO.

Kreatur84

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Did someody know when DIe Gilde DS and Quiz Taxi will be released?that are german games,don`t know if they come in engl too.
And what about C.O.R.E. 14th april was release

Xaintrix

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Personally I like the lack of visible hard numbers for things like say weapons. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that a longsword is probably going to hurt more than a short dagger. The game isn't obtuse, you just are trying to rely on crutches that modern gaming conventions have burned into your brain.

A nice dungeon dive shouldn't have to rely on calculus. Is that sword shinier? Good, use it. Go in, find out when you're biting off more than you can chew, run away when ass is getting handed to you..

And oh so worried about the pile of gold it costs to res? How about trying to save regularly. Oh wait! that's right I forgot. Most games are so damn easy nowadays that missing a save point or thirteen is no problem. Be grateful that the game lets you save pretty much anywhere.

This game isn't for everyone. No problem. Move on. Go back to FFCC.

Magus

GBATEMP RPG MANIAC
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Xaintrix said:
Personally I like the lack of visible hard numbers for things like say weapons. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that a longsword is probably going to hurt more than a short dagger. The game isn't obtuse, you just are trying to rely on crutches that modern gaming conventions have burned into your brain.

A nice dungeon dive shouldn't have to rely on calculus. Is that sword shinier? Good, use it. Go in, find out when you're biting off more than you can chew, run away when ass is getting handed to you..

And oh so worried about the pile of gold it costs to res? How about trying to save regularly. Oh wait! that's right I forgot. Most games are so damn easy nowadays that missing a save point or thirteen is no problem. Be grateful that the game lets you save pretty much anywhere.

This game isn't for everyone. No problem. Move on. Go back to FFCC.
the shop carries a battle axe and a warhammer for the same price with the same freakin description... how i'm supposed to guess which one is better? what if an enemy drops another weapon and it doesn't look any more shinier than my weapon? is it better or worse? why i have to guess at all? this isn't even about being old-school anymore,even the original dragon quest at least had the decency of telling you the strenght of your equipment

and really doesn't the fact that you can save anywhere just kill all the challenge? there is no risk involved,just a lot of reloading
if the game suddenly decides to send you 16 monster in a single swoop,the game is just a mess but everybody seems to be okay with it because it belongs to a long forgotten genre

Freudian Lemur

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wow, I really am enjoying this game. I'm only 18 but I'd like to think I can still appreciate this as well as modern RPGs (I loved Ring of Fates and am looking forward to playing Tales of Innocence when the patch is done). I particularly enjoy the text in this game, it's sometimes like a cross between a dungeon crawler and a text based adventure.

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jei said:
When I hear "dungeon crawler" the first thing that comes to my mind is a game of the "fushigi dungeon" kind, like Shiren the Wanderer or Chocobo Dungeon
Precicely. Well, sort of. I don't associate Mystery Dungeon games with the term "dungeon crawler", but I do love those games. I don't so much love dungeon crawlers, as they strike me as too repetitive and slow. Etrian Odyssey bored me witless, and I'm not even going to bother with this one as I expect it'll do the same.

Then again, I rather liked Might and Magic 3 on the Sega Genesis. Is this more like that, or Etrian Odyssey?

edit:
QUOTE(sillypatterson @ Apr 17 2009, 06:06 AM) *Big-ass rant*
Your rant is flawed. People say this game is too difficult, and you call them graphics whores for it. On what planet does that make sense?

There is not some mystical scale that all games fall on, stating that any game is either "Good mechanics with insane difficulty, but also ugly" or "Piss-poor game with fantastic graphics". Some games are all-around terrible, such as Anubis II, while others are simultaneously good and good-looking, such as Kingdom Hearts 2. Additionally, just because a game is hard doesn't mean it's superior, and easy games aren't necessarily worse. One of the best games ever made, You Have To Burn The Rope, is quite easy.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Covarr said:
Jei said:
When I hear "dungeon crawler" the first thing that comes to my mind is a game of the "fushigi dungeon"
Etrian Odyssey bored me witless, and I'm not even going to bother with this one as I expect it'll do the same.

Those 'fushigi dungeon' games are usually called roguelikes. Shiren, Pokemon Dungeon, Izuna, etc. Dark Spire isn't nearly as boring as Etrian Odyssey, but you won't like it. It has great graphics and music, but it is a twisty first-person dungeon-type game, which can get old fast if you don't like wasting hours on a single game.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I wish Atlus Japan (I know they didn't create Dark Spire, but they did make EO and SMT) would just make a new Shin Megami Tensei and release it for the DS. It wouldn't be so easy that all these whiners would complain about it being too easy, and it wouldn't be so hard that only people who need to die 100 times (or almost 100 times, depending on how arrogant you are) would play it. It'd have an awesome atmosphere, the music would probably be pretty good, the graphics wouldn't upset anyone, and most importantly people would stop making claims of:
A) Atlus only makes lame animu games (sorry, but that's what sells) and
B) Atlus ruined SMT

adzix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
this looks really tempting.
is it similar to Dungeon Master/Chaos Strikes Back for Amiga 500 in terms of difficulty?
anyways, i think the video i saw sold me for it, plus it comes with the soundtrack, which is
really nice for a ds game.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xaintrix said:
It also means that you get to experiment with new items that you find in the dungeon to figure out their powers. For instance, if you find a Kris, did you know they do double damage to undead? And they're light enough that even a low-level fighter can get two hits with them. (That's in addition to their listed power of raising your magic resistance, of course.) Very useful, and it was much more fun to discover that myself than to just see everything an item does listed flat-out.

Also, if you're low on gold, sell your potions and antidotes. They sell for 125 gold and aren't really necessary. You can use 10 gold Snake Oil to heal poison (just make sure you bring a lot, since it fails about half the time.)

And if you're having trouble, set your party to hero mode with a fighter in the front, and spend all your money on boosting his AC. You only have to focus on one person's armor that way, and in the long run a fighter can get better AC than anyone else anyway... even if you try for a more aggressive party, you'll get ambushed at some point, so it's better to just have a tough armored fighter exposed. Give everyone else bows or staves. (Your thief can also attack from the back row with any weapon if you have them 'hide' first, though that means they only attack every other turn because they have to keep re-hiding.)

kjean

Trophies
Website
homeless
XP
Country
Jesus Random Christ:
Sometime it gives you 10 or more pts. of HP when you leveling up your character but most of time 1 or 2 or 3. It makes me orz, and load and do it again... and orz.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I had soooooooooooo many of them. All still sealed.
    +1
    I eventually had to contact a domestic abuse advocate to help me get out of the apartment I was in a lease with her. And filed a restraining order on her cuz she kept harassing me after i left her.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt bring my Charger and nobody here has one compatible with my phone
    either you have usb C and no one else does, or everone else has usb c except you. haha
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @RedColoredStars, i don't have usb c
    That happened to me for like a year. lol. I was the only one of all my friends and family to still have an old phone.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @RedColoredStars, my phone is from around 2019
    Mine was from 2017. lolol. I just got this new one like 6 months ago. Not even new, second hand cheapo $40 phone. But it has usb c. lol
    I cant justify $1k+ on a nice ass phone. I can spend that on a 75" tv screen. Why a 6" screen device cost me the same? lol
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had a iPhone 5 for like 6 years, till last year, and had to get new phone, when phone companies stop using the cdna networks, which the iphone5 used.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A phone can do more than a TV
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    These smart TVs are getting close tho. Gonna be like "back to future" TVs before long.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah a phones going to always be more powerful than a TV if the TVs $2grand maybe but why when I can put a smaller device in my pocket that does basically everything a TV already does
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can justify a decent $800 smartphone that'll last 3 years when I could get a 65" TV for $400 and buy a decent micro computer for $100 more
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tbf there are decent $400 smartphones in today's market that make top end spec phones unjust it's just what you want
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Found a Charger that works with my phone
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Yeah Ken I have 3 Samsung Phones now and honestly all 3 feel about the same
    A35 a S23 FE S24 Ultra lol
    Camera is about the only thing that legit separates them, unless you play games on your phone....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I honestly just download movies on my phone put them on my card reader then on my tv so much better than wireless transfer bs
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Glad I bought a card reader type c and usb A makes life easy
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
    i download movies on my PC that is connected to my living room tv.
    Monitors are too small for my bad eyesight so I use my main tv and wirelss keyboard and wireless trackball mouse.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Monitors are too small for my bad eyesight so I use my main tv and wirelss keyboard and wireless...