DS #2949: Chrono Trigger DS (Japan)

JPdensetsu

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Taiwan
What the problem is. It's ONLY with popular games. Look at Daigasso, it was the same with the 8MB save. FFCC, the thanks for playing screen.
And now this
wacko.gif
(I'm very sleepy now, I'll talk here later on 01:00PM)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
SCVgeo said:
TrolleyDave said:
It was copy protection in FFCC as well, it was just poorly written copy protection. What makes you so sure this isn't? It has the same faults on every card at the same points, but it doesn't have the same problems on an emulator. The emulator treats the rom as an original cartridge, a flash cart doesn't. All the game has to do is check the name of the cart as shown in the firmware, if it doesn't match the original carts name then it refuses to run properly.

In an emulator checking the cartridge header would give the correct result because it doesn't have a filter ie. a flashcart in between.
It doesn't work on emulators. Part work and other parts don't.

No$gba also gets the infinite time travel.
maybe because the time travel is a Sram check (savefile size), and the door is a cartrigde name check.
it's just supposition, I don't know if it's that really. It's only to explain there might be different check in the game, just like Earthbound has (see previous page).

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
BestIntrest said:
You've been here for 6 years and still are unable to hold a decent argument. Flipping someone's words around doesn't make a valid argument. Just because a flashcart can't run a game that doesn't mean it's copy protected. FFCC worked after carts got updated. A lot of games didn't work on the R4 till it it updates it's firmware from time to time.

Btw, spamming commas doesn't win arguments either.

Again, FFCC was copy protected - it was just poorly implemented copy protection. What that did was have a timer that counted down, all the AR code did was stop that counter going down. Look it up yourself and you'll find the details. That's also why releasing a new loader on carts stopped the problem. The loader could have extra code put in that checked the header and if it was FFCC then it could automatically implement the AR code.

This is different though. This isn't a simple timer, this is a big screw you I'm not going to work. A simple firmware release may not fix this. How much exactly do you know about copy protection routines? This reminds me alot of the arguments that happened when the SNES version of Aladdin was released (yes, I've been involved in the scene for that long). Most people claimed it was copy protection, the less educated claimed it was just a problem with the dump. Do you know what it turned out to be?

BestIntrest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ferrariman said:
BestIntrest said:
You've been here for 6 years and still are unable to hold a decent argument. Flipping someone's words around doesn't make a valid argument. Just because a flashcart can't run a game that doesn't mean it's copy protected. FFCC worked after carts got updated. A lot of games didn't work on the R4 till it it updates it's firmware from time to time.

Dumbest post I've seen all day. You think they updated the Firmware for no reason?

Pretty sure I said they updated the firmware to come to terms with the new games. Take Castlevania - Portrait of Ruin for example; More than a few flashcarts couldn't handle when you went through teleporters and the game would black screen? Copy Protection, or crappy sd cards? Your call.

gacktgacktgackt

Trophies
Website
thedeskandchair.blogspot.com
XP
Country
TrolleyDave said:
BestIntrest said:

Again, FFCC was copy protected - it was just poorly implemented copy protection. What that did was have a timer that counted down, all the AR code did was stop that counter going down. Look it up yourself and you'll find the details. That's also why releasing a new loader on carts stopped the problem. The loader could have extra code put in that checked the header and if it was FFCC then it could automatically implement the AR code.

This is different though. This isn't a simple timer, this is a big screw you I'm not going to work. A simple firmware release may not fix this. How much exactly do you know about copy protection routines? This reminds me alot of the arguments that happened when the SNES version of Aladdin was released (yes, I've been involved in the scene for that long). Most people claimed it was copy protection, the less educated claimed it was just a problem with the dump. Do you know what it turned out to be?
IT WAS A PROBLEM WITH THE DUMP. I KNOW THIS BECAUSE COPY PROTECTION IS SUCH A STUPID CONCEPT AND THERES NO WAY ANYONE WOULD EVER IMPLEMENT IT IN A GAME BECAUSE ITS RETARDED AND IT MEANS I CANT PIRATE THE GAME FOR FREE... oh wait

EDIT : BestIntrest, are you saying there's a possibility that this is a case of every single person owning a flashcard wanting to play this, has a crappy microSD card? Is that a more likely possibility to you than just accepting that this is a very well implemented system of screwing over anyone trying to play the game for free?

jahrasta311

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan said:
SCVgeo said:
TrolleyDave said:
It was copy protection in FFCC as well, it was just poorly written copy protection. What makes you so sure this isn't? It has the same faults on every card at the same points, but it doesn't have the same problems on an emulator. The emulator treats the rom as an original cartridge, a flash cart doesn't. All the game has to do is check the name of the cart as shown in the firmware, if it doesn't match the original carts name then it refuses to run properly.

In an emulator checking the cartridge header would give the correct result because it doesn't have a filter ie. a flashcart in between.
It doesn't work on emulators. Part work and other parts don't.

No$gba also gets the infinite time travel.
maybe because the time travel is a Sram check (savefile size), and the door is a cartrigde name check.
it's just supposition, I don't know if it's that really. It's only to explain there might be different check in the game, just like Earthbound has (see previous page).
Cyan, what is that picture of Cyan in your avatar from?

Also, on topic, anyone figure this CP thing out yet?

airpirate545

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
God, after reading half of the posts, this thread should seriously be closed and whenever someone finds a way to bypass whatever they could just post it in the DS Roms Hacks Board.

BestIntrest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gacktgacktgackt said:
IT WAS A PROBLEM WITH THE DUMP. I KNOW THIS BECAUSE COPY PROTECTION IS SUCH A STUPID CONCEPT AND THERES NO WAY ANYONE WOULD EVER IMPLEMENT IT IN A GAME BECAUSE ITS RETARDED AND IT MEANS I CANT PIRATE THE GAME FOR FREE... oh wait

HAHA, pretty sure I never said that. Get with it son.

"Again, FFCC was copy protected - it was just poorly implemented copy protection. What that did was have a timer that counted down, all the AR code did was stop that counter going down."

How long was the timer set for?

dirtclaw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
airpirate545 said:
God, after reading half of the posts, this thread should seriously be closed and whenever someone finds a way to bypass whatever they could just post it in the DS Roms Hacks Board.

There's a big issue that comes with doing that, though... and that's the many extra topics that will inevitably be made elsewhere on these forums (and probably still are, I haven't checked).

gacktgacktgackt

Trophies
Website
thedeskandchair.blogspot.com
XP
Country
BestIntrest said:
gacktgacktgackt said:

"Again, FFCC was copy protected - it was just poorly implemented copy protection. What that did was have a timer that counted down, all the AR code did was stop that counter going down."

I know you never said that... because oddly enough I just said it there now?

Does it matter how long the timer was set for? There was a timer, it existed, a code stopped it, the copy protection then no longer worked.

GameSoul

youtube.com/variantdevil
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
dirtclaw said:
airpirate545 said:

There's a big issue that comes with doing that, though... and that's the many extra topics that will inevitably be made elsewhere on these forums (and probably still are, I haven't checked).

I guess someone should dust off the banhammer
tongue.gif
Does anyone know if people are already starting on the hack?

BestIntrest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gacktgacktgackt said:
BestIntrest said:
gacktgacktgackt said:

Does it matter how long the timer was set for? There was a timer, it existed, a code stopped it, the copy protection then no longer worked.

It actually matters a lot. If a "timer" was set then one wouldn't be able to leave the game on for a time AFTER the timer is supposed to be up. If you know there's a timer then knowing the time it's set for should be easy, no? Simply leaving the game on would tell you.

jahrasta311

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BestIntrest said:
gacktgacktgackt said:
BestIntrest said:
gacktgacktgackt said:

It actually matters a lot. If a "timer" was set then one wouldn't be able to leave the game on for a time AFTER the timer is supposed to be up. If you know there's a timer then knowing the time it's set for should be easy, no? Simply leaving the game on would tell you.
But does the timer know it's a timer? How does it know it's a timer? Do timers have feelings, or are the merely tools used to time things? I think you're on to something here, keep digging and we're gonna get to the bottom of this timer conspiracy.

kennyboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
DieForIt said:
For this, DieForIt is going to download the PSX ISO. Put it on his PSP. (No protection).

another roundabout way of saying you are too ashamed for admitting to all your previous faults.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Ohhh can we use AI to crack passwords faster?