DS #2783: My Japanese Coach (USA)

concealed identi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Anybody know how advanced this gets? I'm interested in giving it a shot but don't need basic lessons...

I'm also kind of confused by all of the "now I can finally learn Japanese!" posts. I mean, if you want to learn Japanese, what was stopping you from doing it before?

kjean

Trophies
Website
homeless
XP
Country
It's time to learn Japanese.. uh.. in English. Yay, anyway.
biggrin.gif

Torte

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Baka!

Same as all the other language trainers, which I didn't really take to. Nothing beats a real class.

Eon-Rider

Trophies
Website
www.kablooza.co.cc
XP
Country
This is finally out. I've been waiting ages for this. =O

The ROM is surprisingly small though. =\

I got a decent score in the beginning test and I'm starting at lesson 9. =D
The thing is... I wasn't paying attention several times.

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sun damnit. I'll feel like a weeaboo but I'll try it.
I know it's very doubtful I'd learn much of anything, but still.

Although unlike most of GBAtemp I don't want to learn it for animes lol

gekiwolf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The game is kinda nice. I dont like the writing recognition though. I got wrong answers writing just by putting the stylus on the touch screen.

Phenie

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hrm...

Fairly fluent Japanese speakers opinion:

This game is slow. Too slow for me. You can't progress anywhere without completing mindless games of things you know.

Also, if you're above beginner level you can only skip 13 lessons, and then still have to do tonnes more beginner crap before getting anywhere. They teach kana but continuously use romaji, but I assume that fixes later. The character recognition is rather funny, I just accidentally hit the screen once for an "tsu" and it accepted it. No erase button either for an accidental extra stroke or something - somewhat odd.

Anyway, if you are just beginning Japanese and want a little boost it's probably worth the play; for anyone above knowing how to say a simple sentence, it's probably due to be too tedious.

zak.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
lol its funny how some people on here think that the people that are downloading this are only wanting to learn japanese because it seems to be a "fad" these days, i've been interested in asian culture since i was 6 and last year i wanted to start learning japanese, i think people should just stfu about all this weeaboo shit, cos not all people are interested in anime/manga...

and as for learning with rossetta stone, fuck that, its the biggest pile of shit ever made lol it dosnt teach you words like giving you explanations of em, you gotta figure that out yourself which gets really annoying because i like to know the precise meaning of words, i suggest getting books such as the "genki" series of text books or the "japanese for busy people" series, they are alot better than learning with rosetta stone :/

rant over

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm interested in the Japanese culture, which is why I want to learn the language. I just can't afford to go to an actual class yet but I know I will go to one someday. I have a half-Japanese friend back in elementary school and she tells me all sorts of stuff that sounded crazy back then. I still keep in touch with her every now and then (Good ol' myspace, lol) but yeah. Btw, is it normal for the green button icons to be blank (Like when you're learning to write the numbers)? I can't tell which one does what sometimes.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lol topic

I can't wait for people to be so eagerly disappointed in this. I've used Rosetta Stone once, and only once, and the very first lesson took almost an hour to complete. Lengthy, partially annoying, but it really hammers in the information through excessive repetition. :3

I presume this isn't going to be very much effective at all.

king_j1984

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Even though i am interested in Japanese, i am not that interested, i just like anime... XD
Now if they released a My Arabic Coach game then i would be excited!
biggrin.gif

hova1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
it's not that useless how anybody thinks. yeah, you won't be learning good enough Japanese to play games or watch hentai but it teaches you how to say the basic things like Hello, Good bye and ask for the toilet.
And if you REALLY want to learn japanese fluently this is a good start to give you a idea of how things grammatically work .

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm embarrassed to admit I actually expected this to do anything actually practical.

Now I feel like a dope that expects Hollywood to teach me history.

I think it's time to get real, I'm also going to ditch the other language programs I have stashed.

Note to self, it's a DS game, WTF was I thinking. Oh wait, there's the flaw, I wasn't thinking.

As punishment I am going without my computer till Monday. Wait, I am moving this weekend, and was planning to turn it off anyway
smile.gif

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mei-o said:
No, no one can ever learn Japanese with this alone so please...ugh...*holds back "Japan is just another country you faggots" rant*

I would like to inform everyone that I'm going on a killing spree after reading this thread, please run as fast as you could while there's still time.
Not to the local wapanese and wotaku it's not...

Anyways, titles like these won't help much with a language if you're only prior exposure is anime and other Japanese video/audio productions as no matter what they say they are still constrained by cart size, especially if you're also expecting a pronunciation guide. These titles probably would do well if you already have a fair base knowledge of the language in question, as they'd likely help with the vocabulary and writing aspects.

I've only looked at the French one myself, but only briefly as I had use use for it ATM and I expect this and the rest of the titles in the series are fairly similar.

IOW you guys are better off finding some local community college or something that has actual Japanese courses, and signing up for them, but I really wonder how many of you would follow through and actually learn Japanese given that a relative of mine did the same, and she had the extra motivation of actually being married to a Japanese national, yet she still doesn't really speak much japanese at all.

Oh yeah: undub?
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/sGvT5FKSiyk?si=TYqsdjjbF-4N8Xc8