DS #2783: My Japanese Coach (USA)

mrbass

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zak. said:
is this out yet?? i cant find it anywhere :/ been waiting for this game for too long now ¬_¬ lol

no it's not out anywhere yet for the masses but you can't prevent us from saying....wow awesome...this one rocks. hehe.

I was prepared to rip this apart. However, this is actually a decent title. I was worried it'd have romaji sprinkled throughout which it does but initially it shows hiragana ???? and katakana ???? in some parts at least. However, in games it does have tons of romaji which is too bad. Just about every word you can listen to the pronunciation. You can speak and compare...although don't find this useful..some might.

Writing part isn't all that great but isn't all that bad. If you compare it to Japanese titles that have built in recognition I think those are the best to practice on since whatever you write it'll pop back what it thinks your intending to write. Thus once you start getting your kanji or whatever your writing recognized you know it's correct. In My Japanese Coach it shows you quickly the brush strokes (doesn't have them numbered which isn't a big deal not till kanji with many strokes that is). and lets you either trace over it or clear the white area and then hit "compare" to bring it back up. Like I said though no recognition though.

edit 2: Like I said I'm an idiot. I spoke too soon it does have recognition I guess at least in the mini game Fading Characters. So not too shabby after all now.

Ok now back to playing mini games with My Japanese Coach such as Whack my gopher! Hey now.

manaphy4ever

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Wow it's been released now i can learn japanese more than i know some's the best game of learning Languages Rate 10/10
smile.gif

zak.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
when this comes out here in the UK i'll def be buying this
biggrin.gif
such a great tool to work with along side my japanese workbooks lol

joeglens

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
starfox468 said:
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Mr.Cocroach, could you suggest another thingymagoober program if I really want to learn Japanses

try the Japanese Rosetta Stone...... its out in the intertube

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
manaphy4ever said:
Wow it's been released now i can learn japanese more than i know some's the best game of learning Languages Rate 10/10
smile.gif

You should probably download "My English Coach" first.

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I suck at numbers, but I like the violent game.
tongue.gif
Hitting poor gophers...

And I got to Lesson 3 right away.
smile.gif
Its okay, but tough for me.
tongue.gif

Orusaka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well, I must say, the placement tests on these things sure aren't all that clever, are they? Placed me at level 11, then proceeded to give me a lecture on the copula desu. Didn't use the word copula, though. This has a very lax approach to grammar, which is probably good for the target audience. Anyway, I found it amusing that the test placed me at a lecture on something we covered first week in uni. And that was several years of Japanese lessons ago.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been waiting to check this out for a while, doubt it can honestly teach much AT all though since Japanese is very much so more complex than English hence why it's harder for people to learn it going from English.

Bamboo

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't get it everyone has been waiting for this ds title to learn Japanese .
but there are many pc titles most likely heaps better than this portable title that teach Japanese.
the Rosetta stone for one is awesome.

Mei-o

Generic Asian Kid™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No, no one can ever learn Japanese with this alone so please...ugh...*holds back "Japan is just another country you faggots" rant*

I would like to inform everyone that I'm going on a killing spree after reading this thread, please run as fast as you could while there's still time.

Dexy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pyrofyr said:
Been waiting to check this out for a while, doubt it can honestly teach much AT all though since Japanese is very much so more complex than English hence why it's harder for people to learn it going from English.

I don't find that to be true at all, I find Japanese to be much simpler than English, personally. I think most people just struggle getting past the writing system.

This game is pretty similar to the French one, and I assume all the others, in how it approaches the language. Most of the beginning lessons are mainly vocabulary, and a fairly odd order of vocabulary at that. I wish Ubisoft would just pick a text book (Genki perhaps?) and go off that instead of making up their own process. But then I guess that doesn't make for as good a "game."

For what it's worth though, I find this to be pretty decent for reviewing vocabulary. You aren't going to learn the language with this alone though, or Rosetta Stone as I'm seeing thrown around here, or any other similar programs. These are basically glorified flash cards. Granted, it's good for what it does. I'll probably keep this around for a bit, I think it could come in handy for reviewing for my classes. The mini games and lesson process actually have similar structures to those of leap frog games and kids shows. I do believe that this game can really reinforce vocab into your head, but unfortunately, I believe that's all it can do.

While it is certainly possible to learn the language with this game and immersing yourself in the language through anime or other means, I really think your best (and easiest) bet is to take classes, or get a tutor.

JPH

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm actually going to get serious and try to learn a bit (no, I'm not a weeaboo in the least bit either!).

Got a notepad so I can take notes too.
tongue.gif

Good releases.
grog.gif

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
The game is better than I expected, it even has Kanji! Well, at least it says that it has.. but I have to unlock it first..

The lessons are given on a very slow pace, from what I notice, it was made to be played one lesson per day. I answered all the 50 questions right and went straight to lesson 11.. and that's the lesson where you learn to construct sentences.. complex sentences like "Mr. Yamamoto is a man.", if you're starting from lesson one, you'll probably fell very bored
tongue.gif

You certainly wont become a fluent japanese speaker with this, but looks like it can cover the basics. I'll keep playing it and see what happens
yaynds.gif

starfox468 said:
Mr.Cocroach, could you suggest another thingymagoober program if I really want to learn Japanses

Take some japanese lessons or grab some books about the subject and start studying..
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Playing the Judge Dredd arcade game prototype lol I can see why they didn't finish it but at the...