DRM increases piracy

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by shadowmanwkp, Oct 10, 2011.

1. shadowmanwkp
    OP

shadowmanwkp Your roms are on another rom site

Apr 17, 2008
    Netherlands
    Vleuten, The Netherlands
    [​IMG]

According to research by Rice University and Duke University not using DRM on software will actually cause a decrease of piracy. Analytical modeling was used to see the impact of enforcing DRM or not on digital media. The increase in piracy while DRM is enforced is caused by the negative impact on legit users who have no intention to actually do something illegal. They have to pay the price, like not being able to legitimately making copies of music cd's or not being able to play games offline, while pirates will crack the software anyways being able to do the aforementioned things. Thus, legit users will opt for the illegal route, because they can do more with their product.

The research also revealed that copyright owners don't always benefit from less piracy.
    Source

1 person likes this.
  2. haflore

haflore aeternaliter fluxa

Dec 4, 2009
    United States
    No way? You mean restricting the usefulness of legitimate purchases actually drives would-be consumers to piracy!? :O

3 people like this.
  3. prowler

prowler Sony

Jul 14, 2009
    Ragol
    Steam DRM is the only way to go.

4. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

Former Staff
    Jan 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    Fixed the title for you.

Funny how a group has to do "research" (and at what expense) to determine something most people knew all along.

5. soulx

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    Don't see why companies are incorporating such restrictive DRM when they should already know that it's counter-intuitive.

Only problem with it is the whole offline mode thing.

6. prowler

prowler Sony

Jul 14, 2009
    Ragol
    What's wrong with it?
    You only need to log in once (which you would have to do anyway to get your game) for offline mode to be enabled...

7. soulx

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    It stopped working properly for me even though I did log in prior to that (couldn't enter offline mode). It still has some quirks that need fixing although it is better than most other DRM, anyways.

8. shadowmanwkp
    OP

shadowmanwkp Your roms are on another rom site

Apr 17, 2008
    Netherlands
    Vleuten, The Netherlands
    Thanks ^.^

It's not really to be called news IMO, but more of an acknowledgment that the whole thing is stupid (and that in itself IS news). Heck, I once even read that the DRM in assasin's creed 2 was so stupid that ubisoft used an unaltered cracked executable as a patch. If that says anything about how moronic DRM can be...

9. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    I know the warning screens in twenty different languages and all the other unskippable crap at the start of a DVD makes me never want to buy another movie DVD, ever. I bought the stupid thing, why do I have to sit through twenty minutes of warnings, you assholes?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Izzy011

Izzy011 The Business Bitch

Jun 13, 2008
    United States
    I think people would stop pirating once game companies stop DRM, and lower the prices for new games a bit. (60$ for a PS3/Xbox 360 game is highway robbery)

11. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    and they crack that too :P

12. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    I'm glad that they needed an intensive study to tell them what common sense already dictates.

13. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    thts absolutely true, look at ubi's AC2 DRM.
    check gamefaqs for its rating. it was an awesome game never witnessed before but u will see it got 8 point something because of the many "1" ratings. the forum guys said it was because of drm that it got those ones.

it really pisses some people off to see them being held back by something that others did and even worse that eventually everything will get cracked (even 3.6+ firmware)

14. coolness

coolness PSN: Dutch_DarkLord

Banned
    Jun 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    Rotterdam Bitches!!
    its time for the NDS pirating people to get interested in music files xD

15. Berthenk

Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

May 16, 2008
    Netherlands
    Captain Obvious?

It's called logic.

16. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Lol Gamfaqs =/= legitimate rating source. All people do is troll and bitch there.

Obvious news is obvious, at least an "official" study has been done on it. Perhaps now developers will listen and stop with all the crappy DRMs. I don't remember what game it was for, i think Starcraft 2 or something...but didn't one game require you to be connected to the internet AT ALL TIMES?

17. HaniKazmi

HaniKazmi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 30, 2008
    Manchester
    There were several ubisoft games which required that, and Diablo 3 will when it releases.

18. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Well.. What do I have to say to this? Not a damn thing. Why? Well... Uh... Nah.

DRM doesn't increase piracy.. You all are nuts. DRM increases frustration and decreases sales a little bit. However, I seriously doubt it effects piracy. With or without DRM... Free is a better price tag than $60...

19. Osaka

Osaka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 25, 2007
    United States
    Ragol
    Has anyone ever thought that maybe... just maybe.. only the games worth pirating are the ones with DRM, and no one even cares to pirate the ones without it?

20. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    Someone send this to Sony.