jaxxster

The Heretic
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Is this normal? When ever the games trying to load it makes loads of clicking, the only sound i can describe it to is when it seems like you're about getting DRE cos the disk cant be read properly. All games are working fine and im using a cyclowiz and verbatim DVDs. Anyone else have this? I dont know if this is only a recent noise problem or if im just being OCD

blurrysarah

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah, my Wii is clicking too. I'm positive it wasn't doing this before it was chipped. I suppose time will tell if this is damaging the drive.

Using a Wiikey and TDK media burnt at 8x.

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
on PS2, a clicking noise usually meant something bad. I don't know about Wii, but my Wii hasn't made any clicking noises. Though i don't have a modchip either, and i'm not planning on getting one until modchips play backups and imports and have their own, separate OS.

DiNo29

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
The clicking is only there with certain brands of media, and, I thinks, only when you put on the disc or turn on the console. When I use TDK DVD+R, I get some loud clicking sound too, but not with other media.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There was another thread where they came to the conclusion that the clicking noise only comes when using +R media. What kind of media do you use? If +R then try -R and see if that helps.

mustnap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i still do not get what sound is considered as clicking.

i did an experiment, i recorded the sound that was made when i inserted the orginal Wiisports, when a -R disc is inserted and when a +R disc is inserted. Still i could cot not find the difference that my Wii made when those discs were inserted.

If you guys wanna listen to it, downliad it here

http://www.mediafire.com/?4jrydmzdz3z

And try to guess the order of the sounds (which media i inserted first, 2nd and 3rd)

dsbomb

Trophies
Website
dsbomb.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
It is a very distinctive sound, loud, metal-on-metal. It sounds a bit like someone taking a hammer to the dvd drive. For me, it has always meant an impending "unable to read disc" error, or worse, the eject and power off error.

Sometimes, just simply reburning a new disc works. Other times it doesn't...

This is with an original Wii (first week), Wiikey, and Verbatim DVD+R 16x discs, burned at 4x.

DiNo29

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
With TDK DVD+R, I get this clicking sound even when putting a blank (new) media on the drive. Didn't tried with something burned on it at 8x though.

VojislavK

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dont use your cds if they click i had jvc dvd-r diddnt burn it just put it in to see if it would read and wallah click click click
it sounds like something is mashing
1 more thing why do they say use expensive media i use the cheapest u can get and works perfect when i use expensive media(jvc) it clicks

mustnap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JVC media? never heard of that media before (probably that is among the expensive brands in your region rite? ).. it is not always the most expensive give you the better quality, but usually the price it is being sold at justifies the quality.. but if you managed to find something cheap and it worked, just stick with it.

Dont use your cds if they click i had jvc dvd-r diddnt burn it just put it in to see if it would read and wallah click click click
it sounds like something is mashing
1 more thing why do they say use expensive media i use the cheapest u can get and works perfect when i use expensive media(jvc) it clicks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is a very distinctive sound, loud, metal-on-metal. It sounds a bit like someone taking a hammer to the dvd drive. For me, it has always meant an impending "unable to read disc" error, or worse, the eject and power off error.

Sometimes, just simply reburning a new disc works. Other times it doesn't...

This is with an original Wii (first week), Wiikey, and Verbatim DVD+R 16x discs, burned at 4x.

No problem here with Verbatim 16x disks burned at 6x. Both DVD+R and DVD-R.

cbass98

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to dig up an old thread. I just modded my Wii today with a Wiikey. When I popped in my game, I got 2-3 clicking noises and was able to go into the game. However, I DRE'ed in about 5 minutes. Turns out I was using a Samsung 24X DL burner with Verbatim 16X DVD+R Lightscribe media burned at 16X.

To fix my issue, I had to run the wiikey setup disk and downgrade from 6X to 3X read. The clicking noise went away, and no DRE for at least 2 hours. Hope this helps someone else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: good morning everyone