Drive Making Clicky Sounds

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by jaxxster, Mar 31, 2007.

Mar 31, 2007

Drive Making Clicky Sounds by jaxxster at 12:48 PM (1,436 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. jaxxster
    OP

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    Is this normal? When ever the games trying to load it makes loads of clicking, the only sound i can describe it to is when it seems like you're about getting DRE cos the disk cant be read properly. All games are working fine and im using a cyclowiz and verbatim DVDs. Anyone else have this? I dont know if this is only a recent noise problem or if im just being OCD

2. blurrysarah

Newcomer blurrysarah Advanced Member

Australia
    Yeah, my Wii is clicking too. I'm positive it wasn't doing this before it was chipped. I suppose time will tell if this is damaging the drive.

Using a Wiikey and TDK media burnt at 8x.

3. wohoo

Member wohoo GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    the closest thing i've heard of is hard drives that clicks the seonds before they crash...

4. Jdbye

Suspended Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    on PS2, a clicking noise usually meant something bad. I don't know about Wii, but my Wii hasn't made any clicking noises. Though i don't have a modchip either, and i'm not planning on getting one until modchips play backups and imports and have their own, separate OS.

5. DiNo29

Member DiNo29 GBAtemp Regular

France
    The clicking is only there with certain brands of media, and, I thinks, only when you put on the disc or turn on the console. When I use TDK DVD+R, I get some loud clicking sound too, but not with other media.

6. SpaceJump

Member SpaceJump Where's my new 2D-Metroid?

Germany
    There was another thread where they came to the conclusion that the clicking noise only comes when using +R media. What kind of media do you use? If +R then try -R and see if that helps.

7. jaxxster
    OP

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    im using verbatim -r 16x burnt at 4x

8. mustnap

Member mustnap GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i still do not get what sound is considered as clicking.

i did an experiment, i recorded the sound that was made when i inserted the orginal Wiisports, when a -R disc is inserted and when a +R disc is inserted. Still i could cot not find the difference that my Wii made when those discs were inserted.

If you guys wanna listen to it, downliad it here

http://www.mediafire.com/?4jrydmzdz3z

And try to guess the order of the sounds (which media i inserted first, 2nd and 3rd)

9. dsbomb

Member dsbomb GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It is a very distinctive sound, loud, metal-on-metal. It sounds a bit like someone taking a hammer to the dvd drive. For me, it has always meant an impending "unable to read disc" error, or worse, the eject and power off error.

Sometimes, just simply reburning a new disc works. Other times it doesn't...

This is with an original Wii (first week), Wiikey, and Verbatim DVD+R 16x discs, burned at 4x.

10. SpaceJump

Member SpaceJump Where's my new 2D-Metroid?

Germany
    Try burning them on 8x, that worked for me.

11. StacMaster-S

Member StacMaster-S GBAtemp Fan

United States
    8x helped for me as well!

12. DiNo29

Member DiNo29 GBAtemp Regular

France
    With TDK DVD+R, I get this clicking sound even when putting a blank (new) media on the drive. Didn't tried with something burned on it at 8x though.

13. VojislavK

Banned VojislavK Banned

Australia
    Dont use your cds if they click i had jvc dvd-r diddnt burn it just put it in to see if it would read and wallah click click click
    it sounds like something is mashing
    1 more thing why do they say use expensive media i use the cheapest u can get and works perfect when i use expensive media(jvc) it clicks

14. mustnap

Member mustnap GBAtemp Regular

United States
    JVC media? never heard of that media before (probably that is among the expensive brands in your region rite? ).. it is not always the most expensive give you the better quality, but usually the price it is being sold at justifies the quality.. but if you managed to find something cheap and it worked, just stick with it.

15. avatarx

Newcomer avatarx Advanced Member

United States
    No problem here with Verbatim 16x disks burned at 6x. Both DVD+R and DVD-R.

16. cbass98

Newcomer cbass98 Newbie

United States
    Sorry to dig up an old thread. I just modded my Wii today with a Wiikey. When I popped in my game, I got 2-3 clicking noises and was able to go into the game. However, I DRE'ed in about 5 minutes. Turns out I was using a Samsung 24X DL burner with Verbatim 16X DVD+R Lightscribe media burned at 16X.

To fix my issue, I had to run the wiikey setup disk and downgrade from 6X to 3X read. The clicking noise went away, and no DRE for at least 2 hours. Hope this helps someone else.

17. kristijan08

Member kristijan08 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    yeah i toned it down to 3x read speed too, its a little bit quieter but ive come to the conclusion that its no big deal anyway!