Dreamcast Rom Hacking

OldManToshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,
So hopefully I'm in the right spot to ask this question, if not please be sure to point me in the right direction and I'll ask there. But I am just curious what the rom hacking scene is like for the Dreamcast? What kind of things are possible? Can textures and model edits be injected into games? And are code modifications also possible? If anyone can shed some light on this topic I'd be much obliged.
Thanks,
Toshi

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What kind of things are possible?
With enough time and knowledge (but mostly money), anything is possible.

Can textures and model edits be injected into games? And are code modifications also possible?
Depending on the game, yes and yes. Code modifications are more difficult, because the game has to be disassembled and code has to be replaced / injected via assembly (bytecode) for the Dreamcast's weird CPU.

I won't link to it (because some decide post rom links instead of proper patches), but Dreamcast-talk is all about romhacking for the Dreamcast. Lots of English translation projects are posted over there.

OldManToshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, okay that's useful to know. Well I guess for me it's a good thing that I have both plenty of time and plenty of money to invest in such endeavors. Though I understand it's considered taboo to offer/use the latter in this realm of the gaming community so not sure how to approach that kind of thing, advice on that'd be helpful too. And I'll hop on over to that site and see what more I can find out. Thanks!
With enough time and knowledge (but mostly money), anything is possible.

Depending on the game, yes and yes. Code modifications are more difficult, because the game has to be disassembled and code has to be replaced / injected via assembly (bytecode) for the Dreamcast's weird CPU.

I won't link to it (because some decide post rom links instead of proper patches), but Dreamcast-talk is all about romhacking for the Dreamcast. Lots of English translation projects are posted over there.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Most hacking scenes (be it games or consoles as a whole) are proportional to their popularity, and ease of getting ROMs (16 meg SNES or GBA game is nothing and possibly HTTP if needed, several gigs of DC iso in an unknown format and likely not on HTTP*. Dreamcast has a bit of benefit from its quite notable homebrew scene but it is still not one of the big boys.

*granted I have not looked for a while but even when the DS was beating out DC sizes it still did not see that much there.

At this point anything PS360 and older is blown fully wide open (hardware options vary a bit in difficulty, and how well the laser functions in the case of the old stuff as replacements are getting tricky and ODEs are similarly nowhere to be seen) and can do anything that is possible in hardware. As mentioned above then most of it is going to involve playing with disassembled code then time investments creep up over things you might have code for, give or take the small window and presently smaller library of decompiled games for the PS1 through early PS2 maybe and what little can be teased from Android Java remakes or general source releases.

The quality of the debugging emulators varies dramatically, and again is usually proportional to console popularity. Nothing is close to what you can do with PC debugging and the Dreamcast will be considerably further down the list there.
You should be able to find something with a decent cheat engine, breakpoints and and assembler though which is fair enough and suitable for most hacking projects on most systems. Dreamcast CPU and hardware is not as crazy as the Saturn's but MIPS is not so bad and its 3d kind of makes sense in the end.
Depending upon the setup you might do better finding an older emulator, debug fork, hoping it had GDB bridge options or something similar.
Said emulators are also where most will find the hardware info for their devices.

You will be lucky to find nice common decompression tools (not sure what it provided at BIOS or SDK level and things I have seen are still pretty custom), plugins for your chosen 3d modeller to import/export trivially or niceties you might see elsewhere. It is also old enough that you will not encounter so many as seen on PC/whatever tool formats and many things will be rather more custom to/mirroring the hardware quirks.

In the end it being part of the "everything is fully owned" set means you can pull ISOs apart (few different formats out there but tools to do it have existed since it was current), look at the files it contains, analyse them from a general programming perspective, from other games/instances of the format, play with an emulator (some quasi hardware debugging exists but don't go there) and debugger, do a what does this button do approach (not like you have to burn a disc to check what happens when) and whatever else. This is the state of being for most ROM hackers, though you might be further in the dark as there might not be so many knowing said flavour of MIPS and associated hardware that you might be able to bounce ideas and speak to when you hit a wall compared to NES, SNES, megadrive/genesis (though even that is tricky at times), GB/GBC, GBA and DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/liquid-cooling/intel-and-exxonmobil-working-on-advance...