Dreamcast Game Recommendations?

Happy Birthday!

The Dreamcast has the best versions of many 5th gen (PS1/N64) games, I would recommend those--especially Rayman 2 and Hydro Thunder.

In addition, there is an active Dreamcast scene, with both new homebrew games and ports.

For Dreamcast exclusive games, you can't go wrong with Daytona USA or Soul Caliber.
 
Happy Birthday!

The Dreamcast has the best versions of many 5th gen (PS1/N64) games, I would recommend those--especially Rayman 2 and Hydro Thunder.

In addition, there is an active Dreamcast scene, with both new homebrew games and ports.

For Dreamcast exclusive games, you can't go wrong with Daytona USA or Soul Caliber.
Thank you!

I forgot about Soul Caliber having a dream cast port, I'm so used to hearing about the GCN version and the ports that came after.

I'll definitely look into getting that since my sister really likes Soul Blade on PS1.

Is there a dedicated place I can look into the dreamcast homebrew ports? I'd love to look more into it since I've only heard of the Sonic Mania port.
 
  • Like
Reactions: radicalten
Must play games:
  • Elemental Gimmick Gear
  • Illbleed
  • D2
    • Multi-disc game (4 discs)
  • Evolution The World of Sacred Device
Honorable mentions:
  • Seven Mansions: Ghastly Smile
    • Japan-only but English patch is available
  • Eldorado Gate
    • Japan-only
    • Multi-disc series game (7 discs in total)
  • Treasure Strike
    • Japan-only
  • Border Down
    • Japan-only
    • Side scrolling shooter
  • deSPIRIA
    • Japan-Only
    • Point-and-click hybrid with Earthbound-like fighting mechanics
Bad games that may be enjoyable:
  • The Ring: Terror's Realm
  • Golem no Maigo (The Lost Golem)
    • Japan-only but English patch is available
  • Bomber Hehhe!
    • Japan-only
  • Roommania 203
    • Japan-only
    • Life simulator, can be incredibly boring
  • Seaman
    • Requires microphone accessory
  • Fish Life
    • It's literally an aquarium screensaver

Thanks! I'll try burning these to a CD, as it seems options like dreamshell are pretty slow and going deeper down the rabbit hole it looks like it'll be the PS2 HDD hell all over again with the ODE mod haha
Dreamcast ODEs are incredibly easy to use, as long as you use the proper backups.

For reference, some REDUMP images (specifically if it has more than 3 bin files) won't work with the ODE because it contains additional data (mostly CDDA) tracks, but specifically because of how REDUMP dumps their images.

Those you'll have to use TOSEC images in the cdi/gdi file format instead.
 
The homebrew scène is now working on a Super Monkey Ball Arcade port for the Dreamcast.
You can already play GTA3 now, the way it was intended. And you can't go wrong with the private PSO servers for countless hours of fun.

Enjoy your birthday gift, and welcome to the next level.
 

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted