Dragon's Lair coming to DS!

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by CPhantom, Apr 29, 2009.

Apr 29, 2009

Dragon's Lair coming to DS! by CPhantom at 7:03 PM (1,711 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. CPhantom
    OP

Member CPhantom The Noob :(

United States
    So I was roaming around and noticed this stuff. Apparently, Conspiracy Entertainment (The same people who helped publish Panzer Tactics DS and a handful of other games for multiple systems) is working on publishing a port of Dragon's Lair for the DS! Very nice to see a truly amazing game from the laserdisc era show up in the palms of our hands now!

Though, no release data seems to be out as of yet, some leaked alpha video is around:

Here is a video of the apparent "Alpha 1.6"
    http://www.veoh.com/collection/s349636/wat...1393682AGhfd9Dm

And here are other links, just for misc. information.

Dragon's Lair:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon%27s_Lair

Conspiracy Entertainment:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_Entertainment

Let's just hope for Space Ace and Brain Dead 13 to show up on this list sometime. [​IMG]

2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Yeah this is really old (2006 I think), and I read from an issue of Retro Gamer (think it was from the last few months) that the developers rights to release the game will run out soon and so far no publisher wants to pick it up.

I'd doubt we'll see it released.

EDIT: Conspiracy dropped the game a while back, they prefer to release Chicken Hunter JOD, Cocoto Kart Racer & Heracles: BWTG.

3. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Im just going to come out and say it, I hate Dragons lair with a passion.

Its not even a game, or a cartoon. Its just meh, always has been.

4. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I agree, though I did sort of enjoy the Gamecube one as it was a proper game.

5. TraumaHoundNDS

Member TraumaHoundNDS GBAtemp Fan

United States
  6. Tanas

Member Tanas GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    An official version was in the works but has now been cancelled.

7. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    Where did you get that information, Tanas ? I hope not! I am fan of Dragon's lair 1-3

8. Porkdish

Member Porkdish GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Star Wars - The Clone Wars - Jedi Alliance IS Dragon's lair for the ds.

9. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Pretty much this, except it's far easier. That Clone Wars game was amazingly cinematic and those action sequences were pretty cool. Like I said though, they are VERY easy since there is a clear indication of what to do in the situation AND it goes into slow motion when you are executing the move.

Funny too, the reaction commands in Kingdom Hearts 2 remind me of parts of Dragon's Lair, without the penalties. Whether you like DL or not, many games owe a lot of their gameplay elements to it.

10. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    i can remember seeing dragons lair in the arcade next to pac-man and tempest. those graphics "wow'ed" you. once you learn the controls the game is fun to play through, as it unfolds like a short cartoon movie.

what i’d rather see is a port/recoding as homebrew from one of the various versions released over the years.

if your into laser disc games scroll through this post: http://discosmameproject.blogspot.com/2006...01_archive.html

cheerx,
    -another world

11. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    I hope this isnt a remake of the dragons lair for nes... seriously why does the door kill you.

12. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I have a bunch of those old "video" video games.....Mad Dog McCree 1+2, Crime Patrol 1+2, Dragon's Lair 1+2, Space Ace, Space Pirates, Last Bounty Hunter, Who Shot Johnny Rock all in CD versions. And they all fit on one DVD, LOL! They were originals and weren't even protected, so I file copied them to a network drive and can play them from any PC in the house. I also have Braindead 13 in an emu somewhere, not to mention that one....can't rem the name at the moment.....where it showed some scenes, asked you questions on what you saw, psychologically evaluated you and even had a bit of nudity in it and was like 5 or 6 CD's big. Never did get Shadoan or Thayer's Quest though. I know there are a couple more I'm forgetting.

I even have that Dragon's Lair 3D game that came out for PC. Kinda fun, but rather difficult in some areas simply because of the controls.

My point is that I have and played them all before, so the DS version getting canned is no big deal to me. Most of them are pretty cheesy by today's standards though.

I wonder if some homebrewer could take those vids (each game is just a bunch of mpegs), convert them to DPG and make a version of each of them.....they would have to figure how to string the sequences together and make it recognize the inputs and all that, and it would likely be a huge file to put on a flashcart, but I imagine it could be done. In the case of the shooting game, for the DS they could make it use the touchscreen to shoot. Could be an ambitious project for a homebrew developer.

13. Hillsy_

Member Hillsy_ GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    You had to be a 'certain age' to appreciate Dragon's Lair Arcade. A time when there was nothing quite like it.