Dragon Quest V (US) cheats do not show up, R4-III8GB

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Wolvenreign, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Wolvenreign
    OP

Wolvenreign Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat

Jul 7, 2008
    United States
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hey all, Wolvenreign here again.

So, I have yet another problem with the R4-III cheats.

The problem is that, even though most of the cheats show up inside the R4-III menu (using cheat.dat(UE)/usrcheat.dat from cheats.gbatemp.net, tried both seperately and together), the cheats for Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (U) do not show up.

I have tried renaming the file, renaming the cheat title, and then renaming both the file AND the cheat file to just "D".

I have applied Yasu's custom R4 cheat engine patch.

Nothing works. Of course, just like last time, I AM using the newest Narin database. The codes will not show up within the R4-III menu, or should I say, it doesn't give me the option to look at them with the Y button, which means they are not active.

Something's not lining up here, but what?

P.S. Please, please help me this time. It was such a pain last time when only like, one person would respond twice and then give up. Geez, TROLLS get helped more than I do. =P

2. Veristical Blaze

Veristical Blaze GBAtemp Fan

Oct 31, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Edge Of Shibuya
    maybe u should buy a newer+better flashcart if you had an R4 i would be possible to help u with everything but i have no idea how this fake R4 works :S sorry

3. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    Does YSMenu work on your particular clone?

If it does use that instead. It has excellent cheat compatibility.

4. Wolvenreign
    OP

Jul 7, 2008
    United States
    Indianapolis, IN
    Just got YSMenu working...hmm.

YSMenu itself loads (no skin, I can fix that) but it won't load Dragon Quest V. Gonna try a few things, but I might need some help.

First, I'm gonna try renaming the cheat title and the game to their original names, I don't need help with that.

What I do need help with, though, is where I can find the latest R4-III Upgrade firmware, which is actually pretty excellent, as they continue to update.

I know at some point I found a site that listed all the Flashcarts and the sites that held their latest firmwares...can't seem to find it with google, though.

Anybody got an idea where it is?

Edit: Hmm...YSMenu won't load any games. It mentions an error about "NO_BOOT_LOADER" and then won't load the game. Above that, it says "r4patch.dat" for most games, and, oddly enough, "r4dldi.dat" for JUST Dragon Quest V: The Hand of Heavenly Bride. More as I look into this.

2nd Edit: Interesting. It seems that DLDI patching is something required for homebrew, which means YSMenu considers Dragon Quest V: The Hand of the Heavenly Bride homebrew.

5. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
  6. Wolvenreign
    OP

Jul 7, 2008
    United States
    Indianapolis, IN
    Alright, so here's what my research has brought me.

1. The R4-III from http://www.r4-dsl.net/, which is mine, has a different loader from the rest that causes YSMenu, when installed as a bootable NDS file, that causes YSMenu to be unable to load it's TTMenu files necessary for booting a game, recognizing cheat codes, or finding its skins.

2. This may be solvable, but I may need some help. It seems that one possibility is that it may work if I do not encrypt DS_MENU_.dat. I've been using R4YSAuto, which seems as though it automatically encrypts the file. Either I go through the YSMenu process automatically, skipping that step, or I ask Maikel if he'll include an option in his batch file to not encrypt DS_MENU_.dat, which will help everyone with what I will refer to from now on as a R4DSL (which is different from the other R4-III).

I'm going to go to Maikel's thread right now, to see if anyone will respond.

Edit: Fixed. Apparently, R4-III doesn't like such long names as Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride. So instead, I named the cheat game name to DQV and did the same for the game name. It works now.