Gaming Dragon Quest.. Series.

Trophies
XP
Country
try dragon warrior 1+2 for the GBC. I had a lot of fun with DQ1, not so much (yet) with DQ2 as I went with the other right after I finished 1. It was an interesting enough start to the JRPG genre.

Paranoid Mouse C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I would just jump straight into Dragon Quest 9. I personally think you'll get more mileage out of Dragon Quest 9. If fun is what you're looking for, you'll certainly get it with 9.
There's a ton of stuff to do, too. good times indeed. Also, I'd suggest checkout out both 4 and 5 remakes on the DS.
dq9.jpg

Oh! If you don't mind mucking about in an emulator, Dragon Quest III for the snes was translated to English awhile back. This Dragon Quest 3 remake is highly favored among Dragon Quest fans.

D

Deleted User

Paranoid Mouse Clicker said:
Honestly, I would just jump straight into Dragon Quest 9. I personally think you'll get more mileage out of Dragon Quest 9. If fun is what you're looking for, you'll certainly get it with 9.
There's a ton of stuff to do, too. good times indeed. Also, I'd suggest checkout out both 4 and 5 remakes on the DS.
dq9.jpg

Oh! If you don't mind mucking about in an emulator, Dragon Quest III for the snes was translated to English awhile back. This Dragon Quest 3 remake is highly favored among Dragon Quest fans.
DQ IX definitely gets my award for game of the year, if I had an award.

timmyisme22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dragon Quest 1, 2, and 3 are the only ones that actually link together directly (the only trilogy). 4 and 5 have recently been re-released for the DS, 6 is only available partially done with translation patches (and it's awesome all the same), 7 was a playstation game that was fairly awesome, 8 a PS2 game with a slightly different take on the classic style, and 9's a great mixture of all above.

Just woke up so... bah.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The original trilogy are the definitive games to play, I didn't like 4 and 5 as much, they both seemed to be similar games in every aspect. The original 3 games are linked together as a series, though more so 1 and 3 as being similar games as you do visit the original world as part of the story line in #3 which is aptly named the Dark World. I had Dragon Warrior 1+2 and Dragon Warrior 3 for the Gameboy, they were very good remakes that are worth running on an emulator, I found Dragon Warrior 2 to be the hardest game in the franchise to be honest (aside from the Torneko game which was just gay), though Dragon Quest 9 certainly can be a bit of a challenge without proper combat tactics and party building.

Tikker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DQ3 is fantastic. it's on par with FF4 or FF6 (depending on which you feel is the best of the FF series)

DQ4 is also great. it's fairly different from the others, and has some really fun chapters (who knew selling swords and clubs would be fun?)

DQ5 is also fantastic. really enjoyed the heck out of it

DQ2 is the only one I wouldn't really recommend. it was alright, but I didn't like it nearly as much as any of the others

I'd start with DQ1, then play 3, 4,5,9 (6 before 9 if it comes out in english soonish)

you could dive right in with 9 too if you like, it plays fairly old school, but 1 then 3 have to be played back to back (it makes 3 that much more awesome)

Doink

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as DQ3 in English goes, a lot of people rank the GBC remake pretty highly... it was released in English as Dragon Warrior 3.

Porkdish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My favourite is V, its where I started. The game's characters are all charming and the monster collecting just added that extra something. I still feel it has the best 'Hero Saga' of them all. Even if it is an amalgam of tropes/cliches. Spun in its charming way.

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There's not much story in DQ1 (Dragon Warrior 1), it's pretty much like Final Fantasy I, only more bare - at least the GBC version is. And I hated that, maybe if I had started out with DW 2 or 3 I wouldn't be so much sick of it, DW 1 just somehow made me turn away from the series, I hated how you had to traverse the whole map in order to find out where you're supposed to go next, but I liked that you had spells even as a warrior.
smile.gif

However, as much as DW 1 has made me sick (as in I really felt somehow bad after playing it), DQ IX is truly wonderful, with excellent story, intuitive progress and everything.
smile.gif

Ultratech87

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I + II are pretty decent games, but they're pretty old-school and can be a bit rough (II can anyways...crazy Cave to Rhone). The remakes made 'em a little easier though. However, if that doesn't bother you, start with them.

Otherwise, I'd start with III (GBC or SNES; doesn't matter) and work your way up from there. You can also try the Monsters spinoffs which are pretty enjoyable as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol