Dragon Quest.. Series.

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Rabbits_Galore, Jul 19, 2010.

Jul 19, 2010

Dragon Quest.. Series. by Rabbits_Galore at 8:36 AM (2,216 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. Rabbits_Galore
    OP

Newcomer Rabbits_Galore Advanced Member

Canada
    There's so many, which one should I play if I want to start?

Is there any 'fun' ones that anybody recommends?

2. 2002120141

Member 2002120141 GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    try dragon warrior 1+2 for the GBC. I had a lot of fun with DQ1, not so much (yet) with DQ2 as I went with the other right after I finished 1. It was an interesting enough start to the JRPG genre.

3. Rabbits_Galore
    OP

Canada
    I prefer DS games because I can get the games..

VBA speeds up the roms and I'm not at home enough to use it.

4. Paranoid Mouse C

Member Paranoid Mouse C GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Honestly, I would just jump straight into Dragon Quest 9. I personally think you'll get more mileage out of Dragon Quest 9. If fun is what you're looking for, you'll certainly get it with 9.
    There's a ton of stuff to do, too. good times indeed. Also, I'd suggest checkout out both 4 and 5 remakes on the DS.
    [​IMG]

Oh! If you don't mind mucking about in an emulator, Dragon Quest III for the snes was translated to English awhile back. This Dragon Quest 3 remake is highly favored among Dragon Quest fans.

5. Rabbits_Galore
    OP

Canada
    I don't mind Japanese, I can play Japanese games pretty good. Thanks for the suggestions! [:

6. Paranoid Mouse C

Member Paranoid Mouse C GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Oh, don't mind the Japanese in the screenshot. All three games that I've mentioned are all in English [​IMG]
    have fun [​IMG]

7. 2002120141

Member 2002120141 GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    use lameboy for dragon warrior 1 & 2. That's how I played it.

8. tigris

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    DQ IX definitely gets my award for game of the year, if I had an award.

9. timmyisme22

Newcomer timmyisme22 Member

United States
    Dragon Quest 1, 2, and 3 are the only ones that actually link together directly (the only trilogy). 4 and 5 have recently been re-released for the DS, 6 is only available partially done with translation patches (and it's awesome all the same), 7 was a playstation game that was fairly awesome, 8 a PS2 game with a slightly different take on the classic style, and 9's a great mixture of all above.

Just woke up so... bah.

10. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    The original trilogy are the definitive games to play, I didn't like 4 and 5 as much, they both seemed to be similar games in every aspect. The original 3 games are linked together as a series, though more so 1 and 3 as being similar games as you do visit the original world as part of the story line in #3 which is aptly named the Dark World. I had Dragon Warrior 1+2 and Dragon Warrior 3 for the Gameboy, they were very good remakes that are worth running on an emulator, I found Dragon Warrior 2 to be the hardest game in the franchise to be honest (aside from the Torneko game which was just gay), though Dragon Quest 9 certainly can be a bit of a challenge without proper combat tactics and party building.

11. Tikker

Member Tikker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    DQ3 is fantastic. it's on par with FF4 or FF6 (depending on which you feel is the best of the FF series)

DQ4 is also great. it's fairly different from the others, and has some really fun chapters (who knew selling swords and clubs would be fun?)

DQ5 is also fantastic. really enjoyed the heck out of it

DQ2 is the only one I wouldn't really recommend. it was alright, but I didn't like it nearly as much as any of the others

I'd start with DQ1, then play 3, 4,5,9 (6 before 9 if it comes out in english soonish)

you could dive right in with 9 too if you like, it plays fairly old school, but 1 then 3 have to be played back to back (it makes 3 that much more awesome)

12. GreatCrippler

Member GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

United States
    Anyone know how the DQ3 translation for the SNES runs on Snemul?

13. Doink

Newcomer Doink Member

United States
    As far as DQ3 in English goes, a lot of people rank the GBC remake pretty highly... it was released in English as Dragon Warrior 3.

14. Porkdish

Member Porkdish GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    My favourite is V, its where I started. The game's characters are all charming and the monster collecting just added that extra something. I still feel it has the best 'Hero Saga' of them all. Even if it is an amalgam of tropes/cliches. Spun in its charming way.

15. timmyisme22

Newcomer timmyisme22 Member

United States
    DQ 2 was actually quite enjoyable. Just play the original trilogy through. You'll have a blast all around.

16. cruznik71450

Member cruznik71450 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I started with Dragon Warrior 1+2 on GBC. Beat both and like them. DQ 4 is worth playing and 5 IMO had a way greater story. I haven't beaten 3,6,7,8 and 9 but im playing 9 now and it's addicting.

17. Fel

Member Fel GBAtemp's Adventurer

Czech Republic
    There's not much story in DQ1 (Dragon Warrior 1), it's pretty much like Final Fantasy I, only more bare - at least the GBC version is. And I hated that, maybe if I had started out with DW 2 or 3 I wouldn't be so much sick of it, DW 1 just somehow made me turn away from the series, I hated how you had to traverse the whole map in order to find out where you're supposed to go next, but I liked that you had spells even as a warrior. [​IMG]

However, as much as DW 1 has made me sick (as in I really felt somehow bad after playing it), DQ IX is truly wonderful, with excellent story, intuitive progress and everything. [​IMG]

18. DunkrWunkah

Member DunkrWunkah GBAtemp's Official Dunkr

United States
    Use could use Lameboy for the older ones.

19. Ultratech87

Newcomer Ultratech87 Advanced Member

United States
    I + II are pretty decent games, but they're pretty old-school and can be a bit rough (II can anyways...crazy Cave to Rhone). The remakes made 'em a little easier though. However, if that doesn't bother you, start with them.

Otherwise, I'd start with III (GBC or SNES; doesn't matter) and work your way up from there. You can also try the Monsters spinoffs which are pretty enjoyable as well.