Drag-and-Drop CD/DVD writers?

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You can't write anything to ROM (Read Only Memory).
I have seen it done with standard (re)writable CDs and DVDs but it was crap, the total space that could be used depends on how many times you wrote to it, due it being a multi-session disc. They weren't designed to be used like that, but RAM was.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, this technology exists.

You need:

- A DVD/RW drive, +/- doesn't matter.
- At least 1 RW disc.
- Packet writing software.

An example of Packet Writing software would be Nero InCD. What it does is essentially turn your RW disc into a gigantic floppy/small hard drive, where you can write files, drag and drop files, and delete files at will.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
I had a programme called something like DirectCD which came with my burner, where you could drag and drop stuff onto cd-r, but I seem to recall it being a right pain in the ass - it installed loads of shoddy drivers which caused other burning programmes to go haywire and you could rarely read what you'd burnt on PCs which didn't have DirectCD installed on them.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Adaptec DirectCD is and was a terrible piece of software. Nero InCD and other modern, properly coded software does not suffer from the problems Adaptec software does.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo