Downgrade from 7.0 with NAND backup

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by eldavo2090, Jan 30, 2019.

1. eldavo2090
    OP

eldavo2090 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2014
    Mexico
    Dinosaur Land, Donut Plains
    It is a damn shame to post this thread, with this subject but it happened.
    My console was updated, to blame anyone in my family would be stupid as I had time to prevent this from happening, anyway, I just want to ask... I have a backup that I made in 12/30/18, 6.2 and I use Kosmos CFW, and I wanted to restore my backup with hekate.
    Don't really know much about fuses and that stuff so I wanted to know what risks I have in restoring it from the latest firmware...

Again I am terribly sorry to ask for help with this stupid issue but I really appreciate your help in responding my questions...

bomigoton likes this.
  2. Atratus

Atratus Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2018
    United States
    I am no expert, but if it was update normally without using Choj than the efuses are probably burnt, and you're stuck at 7.0. But I could absolutely be mistaken.

eldavo2090 and Kubez like this.
  3. Kubez

Kubez Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2019
    United States
    I think you’re screwed;( sorry to hear that. 7.0.0 exploit is inevitable so I would just wait. Sorry to hear that this happened.

eldavo2090 likes this.
  4. Masamune3210

Masamune3210 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 23, 2016
    United States
    I'm not sure if a backup will work since 7.0 changed so much with the TSEC and other things, but theoretically as long as you have a full backup + Boot0/1 to match and havent burned the keys for 7.0 by booting stock then it should work.

eldavo2090 likes this.
  5. Kubez

Kubez Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2019
    United States
    Oh one last thing to mention don’t use a nand backup of a previous version I’m 90% sure that will brick cause someone tried it and it didn’t go to well so maybe avoid that.

eldavo2090 likes this.
  6. phillyrider807

phillyrider807 GBAtemp Regular

May 2, 2009
    United States
    Same thing happened to me, But because i had autorcm enabled it never actually booted into stock mode so i was still able to restore to my 5.1.0 nand.

If u didn't actually boot up the stock firmware u might still be safe./

7. eldavo2090
    OP

Jan 21, 2014
    Mexico
    I have Boot 0/1 but yeah.... I suppose I will wait, I read that if you updated with Auto RCM doesntd burn fuses, which I have but I'm not going to risk it and wait.

I truly appreciate your help from you all!
    Awesome community!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Good to know!
    Then I might try as I have auto rcm on, so that's why I can't boot in stock... I was scared for a second

bomigoton and Kubez like this.
  8. Unleanone999

Unleanone999 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 15, 2018
    Togo
    Might as well wait for an updated cfw that supports 7.0 rather than possibly bricking your switch.

9. Masamune3210

Newcomer
    Apr 23, 2016
    United States
    If you had to push a payload to boot after updating, then AutoRCM survived. If not, you burned your fuses. AutoRCM is removed during official updates as its seen as damage needing to be repaired. I would'nt be too hasty in trying to downgrade though, as people are reporting issues with bricks. Up to you to take the risk

eldavo2090 likes this.
  10. eldavo2090
    OP

Jan 21, 2014
    Mexico
    Yeah AutoRCM is working, then will better wait for CFW... That's my best choice right now I guess, by the way I can't boot, I can only get into the RCM menu, it says something about pkg1 couldn't be loaded or something

Last edited by eldavo2090, Jan 30, 2019
  11. phillyrider807

May 2, 2009
    United States
    Yea same thing happened to me. If u didn't actually boot into stock mode u still ok. Check to see if u can load hekate payload. If u can then just follow the steps on restoring your nand. Worst case scenario is u have to wipe your memory card like i did and reinstall all games.

12. eldavo2090
    OP

Jan 21, 2014
    Mexico
    Yes I can load hekate, I have the Boot 0/1 and the 15 files of the backup

13. Masamune3210

Newcomer
    Apr 23, 2016
    United States
    Have to disagree on the worst case, worst case would be messing up your nand since we know very little about the new TSEC firmware and other changes and how they deal with a nand image restore

phillyrider807 likes this.
  14. phillyrider807

May 2, 2009
    United States
    Reading some of the replies on here i didn't know about any other reports of people bricking when attempting to restore there nand backup. I can say i was able to restore without any problem at all but obviously i'm just one case.

15. Robert McCoy

Robert McCoy GBAtemp Fan

Apr 9, 2015
    United States
    wait then from you're all saying, that if you update the normal way like press update, not choi, while you're in atmosphere, then it doesn't burn fuses? As long as it didn't boot into the firmware afterwards? Like it just goes back into the black rcm screen?

edit: well regardless no matter what, I think if anyone did update that the best and safest solution is to just wait for cfw packages to be updated to support 7.0.0 if you don't want anything to go wrong.

Last edited by Robert McCoy, Jan 30, 2019
  16. eldavo2090
    OP

Jan 21, 2014
    Mexico
    Seems the issue is with people that have a 6.2 backup, so I will better not risk it... Oh well... I can wait, good thing I'm hooked on another playthrough of Chrono Trigger on my SNES classic, that will keep me busy until then.

bomigoton likes this.
  17. Robert McCoy

Robert McCoy GBAtemp Fan

Apr 9, 2015
    United States
    eldavo2090 likes this.
  18. bomigoton

bomigoton GBAtemp Regular

Mar 8, 2009
    Germany
    Since end of last year you can downgrade firmware even with burnt fuses, and sleep mode will work.

As your fuses are likely not burnt due to autorcm, this should be fine. You can check your fuses in hekate menu.
    6.2 had 8 fuses burnt (in stock). I guess 7.0 will have 9 fuses burnt.
    https://switchbrew.org/w/index.php?title=Fuses#Anti-downgrade

But better wait a week till we know more. Not sure what these TSEC changes mean.

eldavo2090 likes this.
  19. PsychOsmosis

PsychOsmosis Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2016
    Canada
    As long as AutoRCM stays enabled, you can indeed update using Big-N's servers and won't burn your fuses.
    I was also surprised to learn this when I accidentally updated to 6.2.0 a few moinths ago!

Last edited by PsychOsmosis, Jan 30, 2019
    eldavo2090 likes this.
  20. eldavo2090
    OP

Jan 21, 2014
    Mexico
    So if I still have 8, then it's not that risky?