Gaming Dotted Border Help

DQScott95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok i recently posted a topic saying that i knew how to remove the annoying dotted border that appears around desktop icons sometimes...well it didnt work, so what i need is help with a way to remove it.

Dagatahas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Are you referring to an icon that was highlighted?

A Print Screen would help people better understand what you're referring to. Drop Shadows(if thats the issue) for desktop icons are found in performance(I believe) also check it the option to lock your desktop is set in Display Properties.

Can't be more specific as the office PC has all of that restricted
frown.gif

DQScott95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No um ok look im very good with computers dont get me wrong buuut...i forget how to take a screenshot without using the snip tool

Dagatahas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Happens to all of us.
smile.gif

Use the Print Screen key on your keyboard then open up Paint or any program you can paste an image into and paste it then save as an appropriate format for posting.

Edited typo

Dagatahas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I seem to have stumbled upon what happened to your icons. I tried resizing my Desktop icons(CTRL+mouse wheel) on the office machine and suddenly got that dammed dotted border which defaults to the first upper-left corner. It indicates which icon was last focused/highlighted. Dammned thaing stays there even when I try to go back to normal sizes.

Unfortunately, limited access to this machine is preventing me from tweaking the settings to make it go away and I can't access my home pc remotely. I'll try to fool around with it and see what can be done. I remember doing this before and just needed to reset something...

Edit: Meanwhile you can try going into the Sytem Properties Advanced tab and go into Settings for Performance and try to set the settings to Best Appearance.

nitrostemp

Trophies
XP
Country
that boarder is useful for people who use the arrows on the keyboard to navigate the desktop and other folders, it goes away when you reboot

Dagatahas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Does it go away permanently when you reboot even if the icon size is still manually altered?

After a bit of fiddling I was able to make it go away by right-clicking on the desktop and going to View then toggled between the Large icons settings then go back and set it to the Medium icon setting again. No longer got the border after that.

I'm not sure if this will permanently remove the dotted border for sizes that were set manually.
frown.gif

DQScott95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nitrostemp said:
reinstall windows is my suggestion

Thats a dumb suggestion considering i just did and its a natural thing in all windows versions

Posts merged

QUOTE(nitrostemp @ Mar 9 2010, 08:36 AM) reinstall windows is my suggestion

Thats a dumb suggestion considering i just did and its a natural thing in all windows versions

nitrostemp

Trophies
XP
Country
DQScott95 said:
nitrostemp said:
reinstall windows is my suggestion

well if your so picky about a small thing like a border of the last clicked icon on the desktop, have not icons on the desktop or you could just use linux instead

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill