Don't use gateway in sleep mode.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Random Joe, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Random Joe
    OP

Random Joe GBAtemp Fan

Dec 16, 2014
    United States
    I read this and wanted a discussion about it. Is this true? Someone said while in sleep mode the gateway gets very hot and uses a lot of battery life. It was the first time I have heard this. Any thoughts?

2. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    my thoughts is its a load of crap.....yeah you probably save some battery(but i wouldnt say its anything major) if you take the card out, but if you plan to leave the console in sleep mode for days anyway, just turn the damn thing off XD

i have no idea where the "it gets hot" came from, but even after hours of use the card could barely be described as warm

maybe someone left their 3ds on a radiator in sleep mode and suddenly came to the conclusion that it was off and gateway was hot, so it must be the gateway fault :rolleyes:

3. _eyCaRambA_

_eyCaRambA_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 22, 2009
    United States
    Right around the cornerâ„¢
    Uh, had mine in sleep mode two days once, the card didn't melt, 3DS still had battery, so... lol

4. MrStoni

MrStoni Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    I keep mine in sleep mode all the time. I only turn it off, when i need to transfer files to the big SD-Card. Been doing that since the exploit for 9.2 came out. No problems so far.

5. blinkzane

blinkzane Panic at your moms house

Jul 24, 2012
    United States
    Florida
    mine is in sleep mode right now and I've had it in sleep mode on and off since the release. i just touched the card to check and its cold.....people just freakin out

6. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    yeah i think some people are just basing stuff off what the DSTWO does i.e drains batteries and can get hot, i havent noticed any difference in battery between retil and gateway card....well maybe ever so slight, but even then i couldn't say for sure......probably just about the same with variations of not having wifi on etc

and i have never felt the gateway get hot at all

either that, or someone got a faulty card thats shorting out, getting hot and draining the battery....but i would imagine if that was to happen the card wouldn't work anyway

7. prototech

prototech GBAtemp Fan

Jan 3, 2015
    United States
    I've been using CIA's for a couple days and I leave my Gateway out of my 3DS and it's a HUGE difference. While using the red card, I had to charge my 3DS everyday. Now it will last 3 days easy with the same gameplay.

8. blinkzane

blinkzane Panic at your moms house

Jul 24, 2012
    United States
    Florida
    I mean I could care less just because I dont play it on the go unless I'm on a road trip, and thats rare

9. TheDutchman

TheDutchman GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    Netherlands
    well i dont know what the regular battery life on my XL was pre gateway, but its around 4.5 hours before it goes from full to red, with moderate to no 3D and headphones, with around 3 hours of sleepmode in between.
    sleepmode works fine both running a game and from homescreen.