Don't overuse your SD card reader

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by Zumoly, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Zumoly
    OP

Zumoly GBATemp Analyst

Apr 27, 2018
    Mali
    Yorosso
    This had no occured to me before having an issue but as a multiple card user I regularly (6 times/day at least) switch card on my switch.
    As a result the spring became loose causing the payload to either fail or the system to freeze cause the SD card would move slightly. Most games were unplayable and I had to rely on the internal memory.
    Unfortunately for me to get a replacement I either need to order (weeks) or try and repair the spring (which I finally did and things are fine now).
    So the piece of advice here is to mind the SD card reader and keep switching card to a minimum (for my part it's pretty much over anyway cause now we have USB installl in Tinfoil which combined with memloader make an excellent combo).

ravihpa likes this.
  2. scroeffie

scroeffie GBAtemp Fan

Aug 1, 2017
    Netherlands
    thats why we need hdd support asap !

comput3rus3r likes this.
  3. alucard_xs

alucard_xs GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 31, 2012
    Canada
    USB support for putting files on sd card ?

4. Zumoly
    OP

Zumoly GBATemp Analyst

Apr 27, 2018
    Mali
    Yorosso
    That's memloader for now.
    Tonfoil has nsp install (no file trwnsfer) over usb.

alucard_xs likes this.
  5. LadyApollo

LadyApollo Member

Newcomer
    Sep 29, 2018
    Brazil
    Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
    Just use FTP, its great

Illuminaticy likes this.
  6. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    what we need is a sd card to sata hdd interface. A device that uses an external hdd as sd card storage that connects to the sd card slot. The device will have to translate the signals to from sata to sd card and vice versa..... I suppose it just has to emulate the sd card storage space.

7. WiiUAre

WiiUAre Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2014
    Netherlands
    Rijnsburg
  8. Zap Rowsdower

Zap Rowsdower I am you.

Jan 17, 2015
    Canada
    I don't go map findin' behindin'
    Nintendo is notorious for their SD springs. Just cut a small strip of tape and stick it along the back of the card above the pins. Click it in for good, and when the power is off, slide the card out by the tape.

Zumoly likes this.
  9. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
  10. Zap Rowsdower

Zap Rowsdower I am you.

Jan 17, 2015
    Canada
    I don't go map findin' behindin'
    So you'd have a 60cm ribbon cable permanently hanging from your mobile tablet? Alright, you do you. :)

11. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    My thumb-stick usb SD reader died out like 3 months ago, but it was about 7-8 years old from my old R4 cart days. Bought an all in one 3.0 USB SD card reader to replace it.
    As someone who does Smash bros modding for the Wii U I don't expect it to last forever either. And yes a dying reader can fuk up your bin files had to re download the sxos firmware to replace the corrupted one

12. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    I you stick it to the back and problem solved.