Donate $20 (USD) to Haiti, get $1000 worth of RPGs

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Vulpes Abnocto, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Vulpes Abnocto
    OP

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    Gamers Help Haiti
    Donate - Get RPGs
    [​IMG]
    "DriveThruRPG announced a major incentive to the roleplaying gamer community today to incite donations to aid in rescue and recovery in Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Called the "Gamers Helping Haiti Bundle," the product includes over a hundred products totaling over $1000.00 in retail value. For a simple donation of $20 - all of which goes to Doctors Without Borders to support their post-earthquake Haiti relief efforts - RPG fans can have this once-in-a-lifetime collection of gaming products.

DriveThruRPG already had opportunities to donate up and running within a day of the disaster. When publishers began asking how they could support the cause, the bundle was created to be an all-inclusive shared effort. Those who donated at the lesser levels won't be left out, however; gamers who have already donated $5 or $10 will be receiving a special coupon code that lets them pay the difference from their initial donation to get the bundle.

"We are humbled by the generosity of both our customers and our publishers," said Sean Patrick Fannon, Marketing and Communications Manager for DriveThruRPG, "all of whom have stepped up at this time of terrible tragedy to offer aid to a desperate people. We are also very proud to facilitate these collective efforts, providing the necessary tools and technology to bring it all together."

More than tools and tech, though, DriveThruRPG is really putting their money where their mouth is, so to speak. "We have always believed in the power of giving and sharing to make the world a better place," said Steve Wieck, President and co-owner of the site. "To that end, we are matching funds with everyone who's making a straight donation at the $5 and $10 level."

There is no set date for terminating the donation efforts, though the bundle will only be available until the end of January."[/p]
    DriveThruRPG claims that gamers have donated over $89,000 to lend assistance to Haiti, at this point.

[​IMG] Source
    [​IMG] DriveThruRPG.com
    [​IMG] Discuss
    News via boingboing.net

2. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    No thanks! I am doing it to them out of true heart and loving and care.. Not donate it to him and getting 1000 dollars worth of RPGS is really ridiculous and selfish, man!

3. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Uh...that's fine and all but wouldn't it be better to get $1000 worth of RPGs and donate money to Haiti instead of just donate to Haiti.

You would pick the option with no benefit if you had both options? Dumb, in my opinion. [​IMG]

4. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    I am sorry but its dumb and selfish. The DriveThruRPG.com knew that they are going to be RICH and some people are going to be poor and dumb to do it. Anyway, I am doing it for love and true. [​IMG]

5. Vulpes Abnocto
    OP

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States

Not everyone is quite so altruistic.

6. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Does not matter. Haiti gets the money either way. You will benefit and so will Haiti.

I don't think it's "poor and dumb" to do that. You're not necessarily 'poor' by doing it this way. Either way, they're still getting the money. Just an added benefit here.

7. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    I can afford $1000 worth of RPGs now and you know my stance on donating money to charity, no guarantee it's going to where it's supposed to go. I just donated a couple cans of Pork and Beans and a box of old clothes that I don't wear anymore to the Red Cross and if you want to donate to Haiti, you do the same thing I did because it's guaranteed to get to Haiti and the clothes will be on a persons' back and the food in their stomach.

8. tommyt

Member tommyt GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Couldn't put it better myself.

9. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    I just donated a pallet of assorted Campbells soups to Red Cross.

I did my good deed, and I have never heard of any of the RPGs they are offering, so whatever to that.

And yes, a full pallet. I won some shitty contest, won a year's supply of soup. meh.

10. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    To all the people saying donate food or other supplies instesd of money because money might not get to where it's needed, that is the opposite of the current situation there. They have food, water and supplies sitting in warehouses because they don't have the money to buy gas and hire people to drive the trucks, and all of the other things that are not exactly aid, but are required for the aid to get to people. Like it or not, a big relief effort won't work without money.

That said, if you're going to donate money, just find a charity you're comfortable with and give the money to them. Don't fall for any of this "buy my crap and Haiti gets something" BS.

11. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    its strange as to how this will actually work but its a nice idea to get ppl helping... too bad i cant even donate a dollar not is there any service here to send supplies there... my best bet is my signature

12. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    its strange as to how this will actually work but its a nice idea to get ppl helping... too bad i cant even donate a dollar not is there any service here to send supplies there... my best bet is my signature

13. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    It's this kind of thing that people totally mis-interpret and which ends up with people knowingly saying "Oh, I don't donate to xxxx, only x% of the money goes on food and blankets, the rest goes on things like administration" when actually buying the food and supplies (much of which is donated free by large companies anyway) isn't actually what most money is needed for, it's actually GETTING the aid there, the "administration" stuff that people for some reason think is a euphemism for putting money in their own pockets but is actually the most crucial part of what the charity does - after all, what good is a can of beans or and old pair of jeans if they're sitting in a box in the USA?

Food isn't expensive at all. You can feed a large family on staple food with less than you have in your pocket right now, there are food mountains sitting idle in developed countries and huge amounts of food being thrown away because it's going to spoil. There's plenty of food, there's just not the huge amount of cash needed to put it in the right places.

You might as well say "So I heard there was a water shortage in Haiti, so instead of donating money to charities, when they'd only waste most of it on things like airdrops, building wells or fixing pipelines rather than the actual water, I just filled a bucket full of water and left it on the doorstep of the Red Cross. At least that way you know they'll definitely have something to drink"

14. dirty_harry

Member dirty_harry GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Absolutely correct BlueStar. Even an act done with good intentions can go to waste without proper research and preparation.

15. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Who cares about the whole bureaucracy within charity. The fact is, money still gets to Haiti. And if you're not gonna donate cash just because not all of that goes to relief, then that's pretty low. I don't care if only $5 of my $20 goes to Haiti, it still goes to Haiti. And there's not much else I can do to donate money. I can't just fly over to Haiti and start throwing money everywhere. It just sickens me to people who say "WELL I WON'T DONATE CASH BECAUSE PART OF IT GOES TO THE CHARITY AND NOT TO THE RELIEF", because the fact is that you're not donating money to a cause. Sheesh, people can just be selfish bastards with their cash.

And no, I haven't donated yet. I'm 16 and have no cash, go figure. And my family is already in a financial pickle.

Even then, maybe you should forget the whole "Haiti relief effort" thing and realize that you're getting $1000 worth of RPG games for $20. That may have come out like I don't care about Haiti, but you can't deny the deal here.

16. gameguy95

Banned gameguy95 Needs More Furries!

United States
  17. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    So what are the games exactly?

18. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I think these

19. crook

Member crook GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    I dont donate shit before they install a birth control program like China.

20. bladerx

Member bladerx GBAtemp Fan

Dominican Republic
    The problem with donating money to Haiti, is in the fact that their politicians have always taken advantage of the situation, and taken a hold of the money, that's why less than 5% of the population is filthy rich, while the rest live in extreme poverty.

Haiti's situation is not an easy proble to deal with, thay were in a poor situation before, now it's 10 times worse. you can't even have the slightest idea of how bad things are over there, on my neighbour country.