Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamers Help Haiti
Donate - Get RPGs
haitihelp.jpg
"DriveThruRPG announced a major incentive to the roleplaying gamer community today to incite donations to aid in rescue and recovery in Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Called the "Gamers Helping Haiti Bundle," the product includes over a hundred products totaling over $1000.00 in retail value. For a simple donation of $20 - all of which goes to Doctors Without Borders to support their post-earthquake Haiti relief efforts - RPG fans can have this once-in-a-lifetime collection of gaming products.

DriveThruRPG already had opportunities to donate up and running within a day of the disaster. When publishers began asking how they could support the cause, the bundle was created to be an all-inclusive shared effort. Those who donated at the lesser levels won't be left out, however; gamers who have already donated $5 or $10 will be receiving a special coupon code that lets them pay the difference from their initial donation to get the bundle.

"We are humbled by the generosity of both our customers and our publishers," said Sean Patrick Fannon, Marketing and Communications Manager for DriveThruRPG, "all of whom have stepped up at this time of terrible tragedy to offer aid to a desperate people. We are also very proud to facilitate these collective efforts, providing the necessary tools and technology to bring it all together."

More than tools and tech, though, DriveThruRPG is really putting their money where their mouth is, so to speak. "We have always believed in the power of giving and sharing to make the world a better place," said Steve Wieck, President and co-owner of the site. "To that end, we are matching funds with everyone who's making a straight donation at the $5 and $10 level."

There is no set date for terminating the donation efforts, though the bundle will only be available until the end of January."[/p]
DriveThruRPG claims that gamers have donated over $89,000 to lend assistance to Haiti, at this point.

icon11.gif
Source
icon11.gif
DriveThruRPG.com
discuss.png
Discuss
News via boingboing.net

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No thanks! I am doing it to them out of true heart and loving and care.. Not donate it to him and getting 1000 dollars worth of RPGS is really ridiculous and selfish, man!

D

Deleted_171835

RockmanForte said:
No thanks! I am doing it to them out of true heart and loving and care.. Not donate it to him and getting 1000 dollars worth of RPGS is really ridiculous and selfish, man!
Uh...that's fine and all but wouldn't it be better to get $1000 worth of RPGs and donate money to Haiti instead of just donate to Haiti.

You would pick the option with no benefit if you had both options? Dumb, in my opinion.
rolleyes.gif

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Revolutionize said:
RockmanForte said:
Uh...that's fine and all but wouldn't it be better to get $1000 worth of RPGs and donate money to Haiti instead of just donate to Haiti.

You would pick the option with no benefit if you had both options? Dumb, in my opinion.
rolleyes.gif

I am sorry but its dumb and selfish. The DriveThruRPG.com knew that they are going to be RICH and some people are going to be poor and dumb to do it. Anyway, I am doing it for love and true.
rolleyes.gif

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RockmanForte said:

Not everyone is quite so altruistic.

D

Deleted_171835

RockmanForte said:
Revolutionize said:
RockmanForte said:

rolleyes.gif

I am sorry but its dumb and selfish. The DriveThruRPG.com knew that they are going to be RICH and some people are going to be poor and dumb to do it. Anyway, I am doing it for love and true.
rolleyes.gif
Does not matter. Haiti gets the money either way. You will benefit and so will Haiti.

I don't think it's "poor and dumb" to do that. You're not necessarily 'poor' by doing it this way. Either way, they're still getting the money. Just an added benefit here.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I can afford $1000 worth of RPGs now and you know my stance on donating money to charity, no guarantee it's going to where it's supposed to go. I just donated a couple cans of Pork and Beans and a box of old clothes that I don't wear anymore to the Red Cross and if you want to donate to Haiti, you do the same thing I did because it's guaranteed to get to Haiti and the clothes will be on a persons' back and the food in their stomach.

tommyt

Trophies
XP
Country
Hop2089 said:
I can afford $1000 worth of RPGs now and you know my stance on donating money to charity, no guarantee it's going to where it's supposed to go. I just donated a couple cans of Pork and Beans and a box of old clothes that I don't wear anymore to the Red Cross and if you want to donate to Haiti, you do the same thing I did because it's guaranteed to get to Haiti and the clothes will be on a persons' back and the food in their stomach.

Couldn't put it better myself.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I just donated a pallet of assorted Campbells soups to Red Cross.

I did my good deed, and I have never heard of any of the RPGs they are offering, so whatever to that.

And yes, a full pallet. I won some shitty contest, won a year's supply of soup. meh.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
To all the people saying donate food or other supplies instesd of money because money might not get to where it's needed, that is the opposite of the current situation there. They have food, water and supplies sitting in warehouses because they don't have the money to buy gas and hire people to drive the trucks, and all of the other things that are not exactly aid, but are required for the aid to get to people. Like it or not, a big relief effort won't work without money.

That said, if you're going to donate money, just find a charity you're comfortable with and give the money to them. Don't fall for any of this "buy my crap and Haiti gets something" BS.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Hop2089 said:
I just donated a couple cans of Pork and Beans and a box of old clothes that I don't wear anymore to the Red Cross and if you want to donate to Haiti, you do the same thing I did because it's guaranteed to get to Haiti and the clothes will be on a persons' back and the food in their stomach.

Utter, utter rubbish. The problem is not a lack of supplies, it's the lack of infrastructure to get those supplies to people (ie fuel, planes, personnel, repairs to airports, sea ports and roads, communication networks, transporting over people to unload the planes and trucks, things which cost money). 5 planes full of Medicine Sans Frontieres aid have been turned away from the airport because there was no landing slots for them, you're living in a fantasy world if you think your old t-shirts and beans have got to anyone or made a difference. What Haiti needs now is cold hard cash.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?...w&cpid=1004
QUOTEDo Not Send Supplies – Knowing that millions of people are desperately in need of food and water, it is hard not to want to pack up a box of supplies and send it to Haiti. But this type of philanthropy is simply not practical or efficient. Even if mail could get to Haiti, no one is set up to receive these goods, much less organize and distribute them to the victims. Furthermore, charities are often able to partner with companies to acquire large amounts of in-kind donations such as bottled water and new clothing. Instead of boxing up and sending your old clothing, have a garage sale and turn your used goods into cash and donate that to a worthy charity.

It's this kind of thing that people totally mis-interpret and which ends up with people knowingly saying "Oh, I don't donate to xxxx, only x% of the money goes on food and blankets, the rest goes on things like administration" when actually buying the food and supplies (much of which is donated free by large companies anyway) isn't actually what most money is needed for, it's actually GETTING the aid there, the "administration" stuff that people for some reason think is a euphemism for putting money in their own pockets but is actually the most crucial part of what the charity does - after all, what good is a can of beans or and old pair of jeans if they're sitting in a box in the USA?

Food isn't expensive at all. You can feed a large family on staple food with less than you have in your pocket right now, there are food mountains sitting idle in developed countries and huge amounts of food being thrown away because it's going to spoil. There's plenty of food, there's just not the huge amount of cash needed to put it in the right places.

You might as well say "So I heard there was a water shortage in Haiti, so instead of donating money to charities, when they'd only waste most of it on things like airdrops, building wells or fixing pipelines rather than the actual water, I just filled a bucket full of water and left it on the doorstep of the Red Cross. At least that way you know they'll definitely have something to drink"

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who cares about the whole bureaucracy within charity. The fact is, money still gets to Haiti. And if you're not gonna donate cash just because not all of that goes to relief, then that's pretty low. I don't care if only $5 of my $20 goes to Haiti, it still goes to Haiti. And there's not much else I can do to donate money. I can't just fly over to Haiti and start throwing money everywhere. It just sickens me to people who say "WELL I WON'T DONATE CASH BECAUSE PART OF IT GOES TO THE CHARITY AND NOT TO THE RELIEF", because the fact is that you're not donating money to a cause. Sheesh, people can just be selfish bastards with their cash.

And no, I haven't donated yet. I'm 16 and have no cash, go figure. And my family is already in a financial pickle.

Even then, maybe you should forget the whole "Haiti relief effort" thing and realize that you're getting $1000 worth of RPG games for $20. That may have come out like I don't care about Haiti, but you can't deny the deal here.

bladerx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The problem with donating money to Haiti, is in the fact that their politicians have always taken advantage of the situation, and taken a hold of the money, that's why less than 5% of the population is filthy rich, while the rest live in extreme poverty.

Haiti's situation is not an easy proble to deal with, thay were in a poor situation before, now it's 10 times worse. you can't even have the slightest idea of how bad things are over there, on my neighbour country.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Were actually bots