Dolphin Memory Card Manager Driving Me Nuts

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by MCBarkingSpoon, Apr 2, 2014.

1. MCBarkingSpoon
    OP

MCBarkingSpoon GBAtemp Regular

Oct 17, 2008
    United States
    Can someone tell me in a slow way how I can please, oh please find and permanently choose the right Memory Card location, Dolphin keeps wanting to go to my documents. I'm just the type that likes to keep my important things on a partition and away from my operating system. Sometimes it wants to go there and sometimes it wants to go to my dolphin location. Please let me know if you can help me. Thank you all very much for your time.

Update:
    Ok got two memory cards for US in a and b, but now when I go to the memory card manager, this happens. I keep telling them no and then have to browse to the ones (in my emulator folder).
    crap.jpg

2. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    I think Dolphin 4+ (and maybe some of the later builds of 3.0/3.5) might be hard-coded to look there. I don't think there's away around it.

3. MCBarkingSpoon
    OP

Oct 17, 2008
    United States
    I really love the work they've done, but why is it the longer software is out the more it takes things hostage. Thank you though so much. ;)

4. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    Dolphin has a dedicated forum:

http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/index.php

You might have better luck with your question there. There's also alternate dev builds and such you can find there. Maybe someone made a "portable" version that doesn't store user profiles in the My Documents location. Might be worth a check.

If you did ask the question there and didn't get anywhere, I don't think you'd have any better luck here. :(

You can also post a suggestion about it for a future release in their General Discussion section if you exhausted all other avenues.

5. MCBarkingSpoon
    OP

Oct 17, 2008
    United States
    Will do!! Thanks!!

6. Badablek

Badablek GBAtemp Regular

Jan 23, 2006
    France
    make a new txt file in dolphin folder (sam folder as dolphin.exe)
    name it "portable.txt"

now dolphin will work like it was in 3.x branch
    Global User Directory is lame, and drove me nuts too ;)

https://fr.dolphin-emu.org/docs/guides/controlling-global-user-directory/

You can also play with regedit :

using the "portable.txt" "fix" is, IMHO, faster and easier. And it works nicely.

7. MCBarkingSpoon
    OP

Oct 17, 2008
    United States
    Is the portable.txt that simple? And TY.
    Edit: Yes it does, wow it was that simple?

8. Badablek

Badablek GBAtemp Regular

Jan 23, 2006
    France
    yes, that simple ;)

portable behavior should be the default one (like 3.x branch), instead of this lame "Global User Directory"...

9. MCBarkingSpoon
    OP

Oct 17, 2008
    United States
    I know, I don't hate...well yes I do global behavior. Why did they do this? Please tell me the next install will not include an option for "SuperAwesomeSearch" or some garbage.