Translucentbill

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I am planning to replace my cobalt/black case.
I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me.
I have never taken apart a handheld and i have never done a case replacement.
Am i better off trying to find someone locally who can do this?
Or is it simple once i get started?
All feedback is appreciated.

What im planning to buy.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14288
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7705
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5363 -hori
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4086 - or cheap hori knockoff

Probably the knockoff due to it being 6 dollars cheaper
sleep.gif

EDIT: This too i suppose http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3245

xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, i have never done it personly but looking around the web it seems pretty easy as a diy sort of thing, if you have the tri-wing screwdriver you're pretty much set.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have not personally touched a DS, but I have done numerous other devices before, including a gba

some tips
1) leave plenty of time, guess how long it will take you, and quadruple it.
2) do not rush, you will only break things
3) do not panic, you will only break things
4) if a screw doesn't turn, don't keep trying to turn it, work out why it doesn't turn
5) be careful of screen ribbon cables, they can come off or break very easily
6) be very careful of screen ribbon cables, I cannot say this enough
7) give yourself plenty of space to spread things out and organise things, a kitchen table or even a bed should be big enough
8) don't loose any screws, trying to find replacements is a pain in the rectum.
9) if something doesn't move at first, don't try to move it by brute force, inspect it and try to work out why it will not move.

I am not trying to put you off, it is quite easy if you are careful.

Giangsta

Trophies
XP
Country
UltraMagnus said:
I have not personally touched a DS, but I have done numerous other devices before, including a gba

some tips
1) leave plenty of time, guess how long it will take you, and quadruple it.
2) do not rush, you will only break things
3) do not panic, you will only break things
4) if a screw doesn't turn, don't keep trying to turn it, work out why it doesn't turn
5) be careful of screen ribbon cables, they can come off or break very easily
6) be very careful of screen ribbon cables, I cannot say this enough
7) give yourself plenty of space to spread things out and organise things, a kitchen table or even a bed should be big enough
8) don't loose any screws, trying to find replacements is a pain in the rectum.
9) if something doesn't move at first, don't try to move it by brute force, inspect it and try to work out why it will not move.

I am not trying to put you off, it is quite easy if you are careful.

Completely agree with you on all the points especially on 5, 6 and 7 those are crucial. I've changed quite a few DS lites with multiple colours and all have gone fine and no trouble what so ever, i suggest you read the guide here on Gbatemp its amazing and very very helpful...You may not need all the tools the guide suggests to buy but it'll certainly help.

On another note i see that you've chosen to buy the Premium green from DX, i've personally bought and swapped out one of my older ds lites with that green case and heres my little review of that particular case:

Pros
- Good quality all round, good parts, everything you need

Cons?
- The green on the outer side of the case may seem just a tad dull and does not give off the same lime green colour like the inside of the case does. I wouldn't consider that a con because your gonna be playing the ds looking inside it not out. Am i right?
yaynds.gif

Translucentbill

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Giangsta said:
Pros
- Good quality all round, good parts, everything you need

Cons?
- The green on the outer side of the case may seem just a tad dull and does not give off the same lime green colour like the inside of the case does. I wouldn't consider that a con because your gonna be playing the ds looking inside it not out. Am i right?
yaynds.gif

I have never tried playing the outside of my ds, i may have to try that sometime
wink.gif

Thanks for the help guys, ill be ordering it soon but ill wait till the weekend to do the replacement, just so i have some extra time to do it. No rushing!

Thanks for the help guys!

Kittymat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have done the green one - its now $10 cheaper - good job too its as good as the rest, not that much of a premium feel. One thing you will need is a new touchscreen, you will try to remove the black (or what ever colour it is) trim from the old touchscreen and i will more than likely start to split - its then ruined. Before you start make sure you have ordered one as it will more than likely get damaged.

Kittymat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes that is the one. The only real danger is when you open the touchscreen connecter, be careful, read how to do it first. Once you know its easy, do it wrong and bye bye your DS

HoneyLager

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
I used this: http://www.instructables.com/id/Repairing-...ntendo-DS-Lite/

I saved the pictures, then blew them up to see better.

I also would recommend taping the screws you take out to a labeled diagram on a piece of paper. Makes reassembly really quick.

Also, when I opened up for the first time, I took a bunch of pictures with a digital camera on macro, so I knew exactly how it should look going back together.

Be very careful of the position and orientation of the on/off switch. It is very easy to snap off. I did. If you do snap the switch off, you can still use your DS by jamming a paperclip in the hole until your new switch arrives from DealExtreme!

Translucentbill

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Well everyone, my gaminglagoon account only had enough for the case and the tri-wing (yes im being cheap and getting it for free
tongue.gif
) so im going to try and order my replacement screen and screen protectors tonight when i get home (with a credit card because they are the cheapest part
biggrin.gif
) Thanks for the help everyone, wish me luck!
smile.gif

By the way, if i do order the hori knockoffs can they damage my screens at all?

Translucentbill

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
UltraMagnus said:
knockoffs tend to cut prices by cutting corners, but with a glue backed piece of plastic, i can't see the are that many corners to cut....

Lol ^__^

Well my case should be here any day now and same with the screw driver, the thing is i didnt have enough to order the touch screen yet, what do you guys think should i go ahead and try to do the switch or should i wait till i can order a replacement screen just incase?

Sticks

Trophies
XP
Country
UltraMagnus said:
knockoffs tend to cut prices by cutting corners, but with a glue backed piece of plastic, i can't see the are that many corners to cut....
Not such a big problem a quick wipe of ethyl alcohol can't fix.

Just go ahead, you won't need a replacement touchscreen. Just be careful to lift the plastic border carefully, pull up a corner or a side, then slowly pull up the rest. I've never had problems with touchscreens splitting and whatnot.

Also, if you don't have double sided tape, try to keep the adhesive on the border stuck onto the touchscreen, since you'll be needing it to attach your replacement border.
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Chuck your brain out the window, it's useless, use your head instead