Doing a case replacement

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Translucentbill, Jan 19, 2009.

Jan 19, 2009
  1. Translucentbill
    OP

Member Translucentbill GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I am planning to replace my cobalt/black case.
    I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me.
    I have never taken apart a handheld and i have never done a case replacement.
    Am i better off trying to find someone locally who can do this?
    Or is it simple once i get started?
    All feedback is appreciated.

What im planning to buy.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14288
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7705
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5363 -hori
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4086 - or cheap hori knockoff

Probably the knockoff due to it being 6 dollars cheaper [​IMG]

EDIT: This too i suppose http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3245

2. xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx

Newcomer xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx Newbie

Australia
    Well, i have never done it personly but looking around the web it seems pretty easy as a diy sort of thing, if you have the tri-wing screwdriver you're pretty much set.

3. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    I have not personally touched a DS, but I have done numerous other devices before, including a gba

some tips
    1) leave plenty of time, guess how long it will take you, and quadruple it.
    2) do not rush, you will only break things
    3) do not panic, you will only break things
    4) if a screw doesn't turn, don't keep trying to turn it, work out why it doesn't turn
    5) be careful of screen ribbon cables, they can come off or break very easily
    6) be very careful of screen ribbon cables, I cannot say this enough
    7) give yourself plenty of space to spread things out and organise things, a kitchen table or even a bed should be big enough
    8) don't loose any screws, trying to find replacements is a pain in the rectum.
    9) if something doesn't move at first, don't try to move it by brute force, inspect it and try to work out why it will not move.

I am not trying to put you off, it is quite easy if you are careful.

4. Giangsta

Member Giangsta GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Completely agree with you on all the points especially on 5, 6 and 7 those are crucial. I've changed quite a few DS lites with multiple colours and all have gone fine and no trouble what so ever, i suggest you read the guide here on Gbatemp its amazing and very very helpful...You may not need all the tools the guide suggests to buy but it'll certainly help.

On another note i see that you've chosen to buy the Premium green from DX, i've personally bought and swapped out one of my older ds lites with that green case and heres my little review of that particular case:

Pros
    - Good quality all round, good parts, everything you need

Cons?
    - The green on the outer side of the case may seem just a tad dull and does not give off the same lime green colour like the inside of the case does. I wouldn't consider that a con because your gonna be playing the ds looking inside it not out. Am i right? [​IMG]

5. Translucentbill
    OP

United States
    I have never tried playing the outside of my ds, i may have to try that sometime [​IMG]

Thanks for the help guys, ill be ordering it soon but ill wait till the weekend to do the replacement, just so i have some extra time to do it. No rushing!

Thanks for the help guys!

6. Kittymat

Member Kittymat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I have done the green one - its now $10 cheaper - good job too its as good as the rest, not that much of a premium feel. One thing you will need is a new touchscreen, you will try to remove the black (or what ever colour it is) trim from the old touchscreen and i will more than likely start to split - its then ruined. Before you start make sure you have ordered one as it will more than likely get damaged.

7. Translucentbill
    OP

United States
  8. Kittymat

Member Kittymat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Yes that is the one. The only real danger is when you open the touchscreen connecter, be careful, read how to do it first. Once you know its easy, do it wrong and bye bye your DS

9. Translucentbill
    OP

United States
    Does anyone have any links to blogs, other websites, or videos that could help me out? [​IMG]

10. HoneyLager

Newcomer HoneyLager Newbie

Burundi
    I used this: http://www.instructables.com/id/Repairing-...ntendo-DS-Lite/

I saved the pictures, then blew them up to see better.

I also would recommend taping the screws you take out to a labeled diagram on a piece of paper. Makes reassembly really quick.

Also, when I opened up for the first time, I took a bunch of pictures with a digital camera on macro, so I knew exactly how it should look going back together.

Be very careful of the position and orientation of the on/off switch. It is very easy to snap off. I did. If you do snap the switch off, you can still use your DS by jamming a paperclip in the hole until your new switch arrives from DealExtreme!

11. Translucentbill
    OP

United States
    Well everyone, my gaminglagoon account only had enough for the case and the tri-wing (yes im being cheap and getting it for free [​IMG]) so im going to try and order my replacement screen and screen protectors tonight when i get home (with a credit card because they are the cheapest part [​IMG]) Thanks for the help everyone, wish me luck! [​IMG]

By the way, if i do order the hori knockoffs can they damage my screens at all?

12. UltraMagnus

United Kingdom
    screen protectors are not required for a clamshell device unless you are very clumsy

13. Translucentbill
    OP

United States
    Hmm, well that may be true but, i dont know i like having the added protection, i dont know why...

But anyways you didnt answer my question, can they damage the screen at all?

14. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
  15. Translucentbill
    OP

United States
    I just did, thank you very much.
    The disassembly guide at the bottom is broken but the guide honeylager poster will work just fine.

16. Sticks

Member Sticks GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I'm using the cheap hori knockoffs, no problems for 2 months.

17. UltraMagnus

United Kingdom
    knockoffs tend to cut prices by cutting corners, but with a glue backed piece of plastic, i can't see the are that many corners to cut....

18. Translucentbill
    OP

United States
    Lol ^__^

Well my case should be here any day now and same with the screw driver, the thing is i didnt have enough to order the touch screen yet, what do you guys think should i go ahead and try to do the switch or should i wait till i can order a replacement screen just incase?

19. Sticks

Member Sticks GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Not such a big problem a quick wipe of ethyl alcohol can't fix.

Just go ahead, you won't need a replacement touchscreen. Just be careful to lift the plastic border carefully, pull up a corner or a side, then slowly pull up the rest. I've never had problems with touchscreens splitting and whatnot.

Also, if you don't have double sided tape, try to keep the adhesive on the border stuck onto the touchscreen, since you'll be needing it to attach your replacement border. [​IMG]