Doesn't opening the Wii void warranty?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by quadomatic, Feb 19, 2008.

1. quadomatic
    OP

quadomatic GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2007
    United States
    I was just wondering about this, since people like to replace their DVD drives and then send them in to Nintendo to get them replaced. I wanted to just open my Wii to check which version (DMS/D2A/D2B/D2C) drive I have before I got my hands dirty with doing any modding.

2. JKR Firefox

JKR Firefox Back.

Nov 18, 2006
    Canada
    Canada
    I would imagine that opening the machine does void the warrenty.

But, if you are careful enough, they shouldn't be able to tell. I had to send my Wiikey-ed Wii back for service once and it was covered under warranty.

I removed the Wiikey beforehand of course.

3. bluebright

bluebright GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 24, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    I have one of those warranties that only get better ONCE i've opened my consoles and tampered with its jollies.

4. mastermanna123

mastermanna123 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2008
    United States
    Under your bed.
    Hurray for Best Buy 2 Year replacement plan! [​IMG]
    I've messed up so many consoles, but was fully reimbursed when they did get messed up. The replacement plan dosent cover hardware things, but it covers software. It doesn't matter though. It's not like I would ever obliterate my wii with a sledgehammer [​IMG] so its all cool.

5. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

Aug 7, 2007
    United States
    There's no way to tell it's been opened.

6. ProdigySim

ProdigySim GBAtemp Regular

Nov 23, 2005
    United States
    Yeah, unlike most other consoles, the Wii doesn't have a "Warranty Void" sticker or anything.

It only has rubber feet and sticky plastic covering screws, which are removable and replaceable. Hell, they can be lost from normal Wii use anyway. As long as you don't have an incredibly obvious burnt PCB, you can make it look unopened.

7. Lookie401

Lookie401 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 20, 2006
    United States
    If you don't mess up those "sticker" that cover the screws. XD

8. coolbho3000

coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

Apr 29, 2007
    Kikkoman Factory
    Personally I accidentally messed up a screw hole near the battery because I put the wrong screw in. If it ever needs replacement (this is the last month of my launch day warranty anyway) I'll just tell them I tried to remove the battery and accidentally messed up that one instead. [​IMG]

9. superrob

superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Apr 4, 2007
    GBATemp factory.
    Well im missing 2 of these sticker thingies.... Never have your windows open lol.
    And i did take the wrong rubber pad away (Damm) and broke a peice of it by mistake [​IMG]

10. hypermog

hypermog Member

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2006
    United States
  11. Murdock

Murdock GBAtemp Regular

Dec 26, 2003
    Netherlands
    The OP wants to mod his Wii after checking its DVD drive, so he'll need to open his Wii anyways.

12. TaMs

TaMs Randomizer

Nov 15, 2006
    Finland
    They don't have those "warranty avoid if removed" stickers. [​IMG] You can always try to tell them that you didn't know that you're not allowed to open it, if they notice it. : P