Hacking Doesn't opening the Wii void warranty?

quadomatic

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was just wondering about this, since people like to replace their DVD drives and then send them in to Nintendo to get them replaced. I wanted to just open my Wii to check which version (DMS/D2A/D2B/D2C) drive I have before I got my hands dirty with doing any modding.

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I would imagine that opening the machine does void the warrenty.

But, if you are careful enough, they shouldn't be able to tell. I had to send my Wiikey-ed Wii back for service once and it was covered under warranty.

I removed the Wiikey beforehand of course.

mastermanna123

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Hurray for Best Buy 2 Year replacement plan!
grog.gif

I've messed up so many consoles, but was fully reimbursed when they did get messed up. The replacement plan dosent cover hardware things, but it covers software. It doesn't matter though. It's not like I would ever obliterate my wii with a sledgehammer
happy.gif
so its all cool.

ProdigySim

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, unlike most other consoles, the Wii doesn't have a "Warranty Void" sticker or anything.

It only has rubber feet and sticky plastic covering screws, which are removable and replaceable. Hell, they can be lost from normal Wii use anyway. As long as you don't have an incredibly obvious burnt PCB, you can make it look unopened.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Personally I accidentally messed up a screw hole near the battery because I put the wrong screw in. If it ever needs replacement (this is the last month of my launch day warranty anyway) I'll just tell them I tried to remove the battery and accidentally messed up that one instead.
tongue.gif

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
They don't have those "warranty avoid if removed" stickers.
biggrin.gif
You can always try to tell them that you didn't know that you're not allowed to open it, if they notice it. : P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself