Does the XL's screen scratch easily?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Tigro, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Tigro
    OP

Tigro GBAtemp Regular

Nov 18, 2006
    Poland
    Poland
    So I've just bought myself a nice XL and I began to wonder if the foil screen protector is an absolute must here. For all the time, both my original DS and later Lite had the foil on the bottom screen but does anybody know if anything changed in the 3DS as long as scratchability goes? Of course I'd rather refrain from it but I'm so used to it I won't give it a second thought if the screens still scratch easily in fast, stylus-based games. Also, if it's needed - is the bottom screen enough as it used to be or should I apply it to the upper one too?

2. EyeZ

EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

Dec 4, 2009
    With stylus-based games there is always the possibility of scratching the screen, i've been using my XL for approx 6 months now & haven't made a single scratch on the screen.

I am very aware of the possibilities of scratching the screen so i use the stylus with care.

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    If you play touch-based rhythm games at all you definitely need a screen protector. But it should be a habit to put a screen protector on any device you own, as scratches can happen even on Gorillaglass screens and similar. I always put on a screen protector on a new device as soon as possible.

4. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    That's what screen protectors are for, to protect against scratches.

5. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    I would recommend u to get screen protectors, playing games or not.

6. Tigro
    OP

Tigro GBAtemp Regular

Nov 18, 2006
    Poland
    Poland
    Thanks. After playing a bit, it seems the touch screen hasn't been improved since the previous generation as long as being prone to scratches goes. I ordered the protectors though I'd apply it only for the lower screen, as I used to with the DS and Lite :)

7. Kirito-kun

Kirito-kun Disciple of GabeN

Banned
    Jul 23, 2013
    Canada
    22nd Floor
    I've been using my 3DS XL without a screen protector for 12 months and so far, no scratches. Although, I'm rather careful with my electronics. It all depends on how much you abuse your system.

8. Ethevion

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    I've had my XL for just about a year without a screen protector. It's still in mintcondition.

9. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    Foil? I'm sure foil would protect the screen very well, but how would you be able to see the screen?

10. DigitalDeviant

DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

Feb 14, 2010
    United States
    Solar Federation
    Anyone here use full shell screen protectors?