Homebrew Does the Wii's USB ports output enough power for a Hard Disk Drive?

HeavyMetalLoser

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I plan on eventually swapping out my laptop's stock 2.5" 300GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive for an SSD, and I was think I'd put my old HDD into a Sata to USB enclosure and use it to store Wii and Gamecube backups. My main concern is whether or not the Wii's USB ports can output enough power to run an HDD.

Also, just to be clear I'm talking about an original model Wii, NOT a Wii U.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I plan on eventually swapping out my laptop's stock 2.5" 300GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive for an SSD, and I was think I'd put my old HDD into a Sata to USB enclosure and use it to store Wii and Gamecube backups. My main concern is whether or not the Wii's USB ports can output enough power to run an HDD.

Also, just to be clear I'm talking about an original model Wii, NOT a Wii U.
you will need a usb y cable to plug it into 2 ports because neither the wii or the wii u output enough from 1 port

HeavyMetalLoser

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently using a pair of SanDisk Cruzer Glide thumb drives for USB storage, would a 5400 RPM HDD be any faster or slower compared to that?

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently using a pair of SanDisk Cruzer Glide thumb drives for USB storage, would a 5400 RPM HDD be any faster or slower compared to that?
Not particularly but that's more to do with the how much content the Wii is loading at a time more than the transfer rate. In general yes, it would be much faster and efficient.

CaptainHIT

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've used a Western Digital Elements 500GB External HDD with a single USB cable (it's own cable) for many years without any problems. The same doesn't work on the Wii U where I needed a Y-Cable for powering up the HDD. So literally yes, the Wii will power up your HDD with a normal USB cable.

Mat37

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've used a Western Digital Elements 500GB External HDD with a single USB cable (it's own cable) for many years without any problems. The same doesn't work on the Wii U where I needed a Y-Cable for powering up the HDD. So literally yes, the Wii will power up your HDD with a normal USB cable.
Exactly the same for me.

HeavyMetalLoser

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wondering, is it worth it to use a 7200RPM HDD or an SSD, or will USB 2.0 bottleneck hard drives above a certain speed?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Touché.