does the new 3ds bottom screen scratch the top screen

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by LinusRG, Jun 9, 2019.

1. LinusRG
    OP

LinusRG GBAtemp Regular

Jun 7, 2017
    Canada
    i have both a new 3ds and a new 3ds xl. Both of them seem to have pretty much the same scratch on on the top screen in relatively the same place. about 2 cm in. Is this a common occurrence among these consoles?

2. ShinyStar

ShinyStar Member

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2019
    Germany
    Germany
    I have an old 3ds xl and something I did not have, either you send it back where you bought it (but only if there is no trace of use traces in there) or you replace the screens.
    I hope I was able to help you :)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

And then try to stick protective films on it for the next time :)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

3. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    That's very normal. Use a screen protector if you buy a brand new system. If a second hand system it is normal enough that you shouldn't ask for a refund or anything.

4. ShinyStar
    This message by ShinyStar has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 10, 2019, Reason: Requested.
    Jun 9, 2019
  5. LinusRG
    OP

LinusRG GBAtemp Regular

Jun 7, 2017
    Canada
    thakyou i am glad to hear that is something normal that happens. Nintendo had the same problem with the switch.

6. bananapi761

bananapi761 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 8, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Norn Iron
    Now that you mention it, I just noticed a small line of scratches on the bottom of my N3DS' top screen, matching where the lip of the bottom screen is. Not that it's very noticeable, but I guess it's somewhat common.

7. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    Why do some people not put screen protectors on their touchscreen devices? It just seems like a completely common sense thing to do.

8. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    A bit, nowhere as badly as the first O3DS though

Because they:
    1- have tradeoffs in sensitivity and visual clarity (especially in the case of imperfect installation)
    2- are not useful in reasonable usage (ie abstaining from playing pokemon dash and chewing the tip of the pen)
    3- more plastic on the touch screen wouldn't even try to solve the problem described in this topic, lol

9. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    1- With a quality protector, the trade offs are EXTREMELY minor in comparison to your screen being protected. (Edit: Imperfect installation is user error, not the fault of the protector. Have never had an issue. No bubbles. Notta.)
    2- Ummmm. What??? 100% completely irrelevant. Maybe reasonable use for yourself but that doesn't speak for everyone. Have you seen the screens of what some people would consider "reasonable usage"? It's an incredibly subjective point. Toss this one completely out the window.
    3- False. I've used Hori protectors on every single 3DS I've owed. Any time they have ever been changed, I've not seen any of the problem described here. Not a single time.

Last edited by D34DL1N3R, Jun 15, 2019
  10. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    if you manage to badly scratch a touch screen, you are using it wrong.
    touch screens are designed to be scratch resistant, I used to play osu on my dsi and the screen didn't got badly scratched, the same goes for all of my 3ds (regular, old xl and new regular).
    the screen is going to inevitably get some scratches, is normal (since you are scratching it after all), but nothing that's gonna ruin the visibility.

11. mike087

mike087 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 6, 2017
    Ecuador
    Yeah, mine has two vertical lines on the sides of the top screen, 1cm from the border each

12. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    -No kidding? Preaching to the choir my friend. :)
    -Didn't get "badly" scratched? Right. But they still got scratched.
    -Hence, the point of screen protectors. And also because accident happen. Not even the slightest of a single tiny scratch on any of my DS's. I win.

13. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    if that's the case then don't open the console, the hinge can break after bending it for so many times and don't even think about pressing the buttons, they will go bad and stop working.

14. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    Do you really have that much of an issue with someone choosing to prevent damage to their screens? I'm 47 years old. I've had children & now have grandchildren. And even if I didn't, I choose to take precautions. Do you need a hug or something? If someone is worried about scratches on their screen, use a screen protector. I'm not certain why that recommendation is so difficult to grasp. Yours has scratches, regardless of how insignificant they may be. Mine has none. I still win.

Shrug. Enjoy your weekend.

Last edited by D34DL1N3R, Jun 15, 2019
    lone_wolf323 likes this.
  15. isoboy
    This message by isoboy has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Jun 17, 2019.
    Jun 17, 2019
  16. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    So. you put the plastic on the TOP screen (and there's no problem with that)? That's the issue this topic is about, the frame of the bottom one scratching the top while the console is folded :)

D34DL1N3R likes this.
  17. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    It's obviously not as easy for some to grasp the concept. ;)

18. TiredLink

TiredLink Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Gotta be honest I think I have the same scratch on my 3ds xl:wacko:

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted