Hacking Does PS4 support two or more partitions on external HDD?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 16,120
  • Replies 15
D

Deleted User

OP
Hi, I've bought PS4 Slim on FW 5.05 and I want to know if I split 1TB external HDD on 2 partitions (750GB NTFS and 250GB exFat) will PS4 read it? I want to use NTFS with PC and PS3 while exFat for PS4 pkgs. Thanks.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I've bought PS4 Slim on FW 5.05 and I want to know if I split 1TB external HDD on 2 partitions (750GB NTFS and 250GB exFat) will PS4 read it? I want to use NTFS with PC and PS3 while exFat for PS4 pkgs. Thanks.

No, the system wouldn't know where to look. As for PC it can handle two partitions from the same HDD and PC support all three formats, but PS4 support FAT32, exFAT, PS3 only support FAT32, (NTFS via Multiman). The HDD wouldn't work with the PS3/PS4 if you split it into multiple partitions.

Last edited by Hayato213,
Reactions: KiiWii

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it can, I had a drive with fat32 and ntfs and it picked up on the fat32 while ignoring the ntfs drive because Sony's ps4 devision refuses to adopt it.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes it can, I had a drive with fat32 and ntfs and it picked up on the fat32 while ignore the ntfs drive because Sony's ps4 devision refuses to adopt it.

Afaik of the first partition is fat/exfat it should read it. If the fat/exfat were the second partition it wouldn’t.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Afaik of the first partition is fat/exfat it should read it. If the fat/exfat were the second partition it wouldn’t.
It was the second partion. When I had it in my wii it shows up as the second there too.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks guys, you really helped me. So I'm gonna split it. :D
Moral of the story is that it likely won't pick up on both so maybe only do it if you need 1 partition formated a specific way for another device with another purpose. Kinda like how my wii drive has two partitions with one being for general storage and wii games and the other for gamecube games.

Georgi17

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Okay, so after splitting the HDD into 1st NTFS and 2nd exFAT, the PS4 picks up only the exfat, but still prompts me to format it as external storage and formats the whole disk? Is there a workaround for this?

Leeful

GBAtemp Member
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you format it as 'Extended Storage' it will always wipe all your partitions and format the entire drive as an 'Extended Storage' drive.

If you do not format it as 'Extended Storage' you can use the exfat partition on the drive to install fake pkg games to the PS4 or move existing games to the USB drive using apptousb.

'Extended Storage' is the official sony method of installing or moving your games to a USB drive.
If you use this the Drive will no longer be usable on a PC and as I mentioned before it will use the entire size of your USB drive.

Reactions: KiiWii

JohnLles

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I have a NTFS personal files partition for running in pc, and just created an exFAT one for PS4 extended storage, when the format prompt comes, if I say yes to it, will it format the exFAT partition(480GB) or the whole drive(2TB including my personal data)?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a NTFS personal files partition for running in pc, and just created an exFAT one for PS4 extended storage, when the format prompt comes, if I say yes to it, will it format the exFAT partition(480GB) or the whole drive(2TB including my personal data)?

pretty sure, the whole thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.