Hardware Does joy con gel guard damage the joy con?

Pokfan1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hi I found some cheap joy Con gel guards on ebay and I am thinking about buying them.
Can the damage my joy cons?
Because as I remember there was a problem with skins on switch
Thank you.
Any recommendations about gel guards?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I found some cheap joy Con gel guards on ebay and I am thinking about buying them.
Can the damage my joy cons?
Because as I remember there was a problem with skins on switch
Thank you.
Any recommendations about gel guards?
Does the gel guards have adhesive?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
it was the adhesive stickers that caused joy cons to lose their texture, but on the note of silicone covers, idk my friend had a limited edition 3DS and had it in a silicone sleeve to protect it, he decided to show me how it was still in mint condition because he had always had it in the sleeve and when he pulled it out the lid and back cover was very badly scratched where bits of grit had worked themselves inside the skin and been trapped rubbing against the surface of the console, I have to say it probably would've been in better condition if he had simply kept it out of the cover, I guess if you have a habit of taking the skin off and getting any bits of dust/grip out of it it should protect against knocks/bumps, but I don't think there is any real 100% way of protecting your console from signs of use if you actually want to use it like normal

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: Zap Rowsdower

Pokfan1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Basically I want them for comfort, not for protection. But if it can scratch my joy cons I may think about it

Swordoggo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Basically I want them for comfort, not for protection. But if it can scratch my joy cons I may think about it
I've had a pair for a while (6/7 months), they didn't actually damage anything! tho sometimes there is dirt on the inside of it, so you gotta clean them up after a while :)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I've had a pair for a while (6/7 months), they didn't actually damage anything! tho sometimes there is dirt on the inside of it, so you gotta clean them up after a while :)
yeah I think my friend probably just got unlucky and something particularly rough found its way in there (maybe a little shard of glass or stone or something), I think just normal dust/much probably wouldn't cause too much/any damage

but if something sharp does manage to slip in it stays there getting brushed all around the surface, I think this was particularly upsetting for my friends as he was quite proud of his fire emblem 3ds and the surface was all scratched up pretty badly

Last edited by gamesquest1,

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
idk my friend had a limited edition 3DS and had it in a silicone sleeve to protect it, he decided to show me how it was still in mint condition because he had always had it in the sleeve and when he pulled it out the lid and back cover was very badly scratched where bits of grit had worked themselves inside the skin and been trapped rubbing against the surface of the console, I have to say it probably would've been in better condition if he had simply kept it out of the cover
Poor 3ds, what a gruesome fate :(
Had to sield the children’s eyes while reading that

Last edited by ZachyCatGames,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end