Does HomePass Still Work?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Ailuros27, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Ailuros27
    OP

Ailuros27 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 7, 2015
    United States
    Does anyone still use HomePass? Does it even still work? I've been able to do it manually before with an older Macbook, but I'd like an automated method. I've tried several scripts on my newer iMac and they don't work. I can dual boot into Windows 7, so anything that works with Windows or Mac would do.

2. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
  3. Timburpton

Timburpton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 18, 2014
    Ryccardo likes this.
  4. RemixDeluxe

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    What do you need the streetpasses for exactly? That would be a better question.

5. Timburpton

Nov 18, 2014
    Fair point. Off the top of my head, I can think of bravely default's nemeses.

6. Verack

Verack GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2010
    United States
    There's a ton of games that lock content behind streetpass. If there's an easy way to instantly unlock streetpass content for games, I'd be interested in using it.

Quantumcat likes this.
  7. RemixDeluxe

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    I dont play that game so I dont know how streetpass is involved. Save editors and NTR plugins exist to get whatever is needed and I bet it can get whatever is needed for that game too.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

8. Timburpton

Nov 18, 2014
    Yeah. You really don't play that game. You can't get them with NTR plugins and I'm not aware of such a save editor.

And also, if you're into collecting mii plaza miis, you'll need streetpass.

9. Verack

Verack GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2010
    United States
    A lot of obscure/Japanese only games don't have editors for them, and it's a whole lot easier to just spoof streetpass than it is to mess with NTR cheats or Gateshark.

10. RemixDeluxe

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    The only reason I imagine wanting to collect Miis for the plaza is to get the achievements but those can be cheated for too.

I'm not gonna put down homepass as an option but I've seen the homebrew scene evolve to a point where its not necessary anymore (at least for me.) I dont even recall the last time I used homepass.

11. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    I've been wanting to get homepass for a while.. and i've got a list of games that would be helpful to have homepass on,

Mii Plaza (because I would like to collect miis.. and going outside isn't an option because there is nobody with a 3ds within 2 miles)
    Tomodachi Life
    Pokemon Shuffle/Rumble

Smaller features like for kirby triple deluxe and robobot, Pokemiles, etc.

XRaTiX likes this.
  12. Mark McDonut

Mark McDonut GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 8, 2008
    United States
    I use a spillpass sd card image with my raspberry pi with an ethernet internet connection and using a wifi usb dongle as a "pass" and it cycles them automatically. it's great for accumulating miis for playing the streetpass fishing and zombie games.

13. Aletron9000

Aletron9000 3DS Master

May 10, 2016
    United States
    3DS ARM9 CPU
    I stopped using homepass, i believe a nintendo zone will cause my 3DS to update, i just cheat to get the items.

14. SonicCloud

SonicCloud a crybaby <3.

Mar 29, 2016
    Mexico
    Somewhere
    Even through i don't have modified anything about streetpass. I somehow get streetpasses when my 3DS is at home :huh:

15. Darkrai

Darkrai Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2009
    Brazil
    Brazil
    Nintendo Zone was disabled by Nintendo.
    HomePass still works. I'm using it o complete the panels on StreetPlaza.

The homebrew scene on 3DS has noting to do with the Streetpass fuction, there is people still using it.

16. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Are you new to the 3ds homebrew scene? Because it's always the newer people that think Nintendo will force an update onto their system, or that they will somehow get banned simply for having emuNAND/CFW. I can guarantee nintendo zone would not force your system to update. At most it would download an update to the console, but it can't install it and the 3ds already does that by default when in sleep mode.
    So TL;DR you don't have to worry about a Nintendo Zone forcing an update to install on your 3ds, it simply can't happen at this point (maybe in the future, but I highly doubt it)

17. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    Spillpass v2 still workas awesome (for those with a Rasberry Pi)
    What do i use streetpass for?
    - All Pokémon games (XY/ORAS/Shuffle/Rumble/etc...)
    - Etrain Oddyssey
    - StreetPlaza Games (puzzle pieces etc...)
    - To get special event Mii's (like the Gold pants E3 one that's now passing by)
    - Animal Crossing HHD
    - Tomodachi Life
    - Basicly any game that has a streetpass function :)

Last edited by DjoeN, Jun 15, 2016
  18. Aletron9000

Aletron9000 3DS Master

May 10, 2016
    United States
    3DS ARM9 CPU
    No, i am not new, I just heard that the Nintendo zone DNS address cannot be changed, so blocking updates does not work, it was an old rumor I heard.

Back before I had a9lh

Last edited by Aletron9000, Jun 15, 2016
  19. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Only the dedicated app promo website, and only in the American region :)

They technically can, but I doubt your local mcdonalds will give you their router's setup password lol
    (of course you can set a custom dns with homepass)
    (of course there's no reason to worry about "auto" updates)

20. Ailuros27
    OP

Ailuros27 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 7, 2015
    United States
    Chaldron's thread says to use MACycle now, and that thread says to create a wifi network named "Wi-Fi" but in all the tutorials I've ever read, including when I did manually a while back, "attwifi" or something like "NZone@McD" was recommended. So does MACycle require that specific name?