Does GBA games have Anti Piracy?

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by AkitoTheHedgy, Mar 12, 2019.

1. AkitoTheHedgy
    OP

AkitoTheHedgy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2018
    United States
    So I honestly dont know if I should put this here or a DS section but... here it is!

So I use Twilight Menu ++ and I used the GBArunner a few times. When I was messing around with it, I installed Sonic Advance 2 on it.

I figured out I shall play SA2 on the GBArunner one day and then when I booted it up, it actually showed 4 grey lines and couldn't play the game.

It played some song that nobody had ever heard and wonder if its just my copy of GBARunner. Usually it plays perfectly on the Visual Boy Advance emulator, but my most opinion it was on Anti Piracy.

Sooooo is this true?

2. Bigkuhuna24

Bigkuhuna24 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    GBAtemp Patron
    Bigkuhuna24 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 17, 2017
    United States
    Snip

Last edited by Bigkuhuna24, Mar 12, 2019
  3. zfreeman

zfreeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 9, 2013
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    Memoir likes this.
  4. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    Could just be GBARunner. I've never heard of SA2 having anti piracy..

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    There are some https://gbatemp.net/threads/buying-a-gba-flash-cart-in-2013.341203/page-18#post-4756995 covers it, and the other trouble games.

The only problem most have with the Sonic stuff is when they want to do Chao Garden with a flash cart (which may or may not change the way the saves work and thus bother the gamecube side of things). I am not aware of it having any anti piracy or other things that emulator/flash cart users have to worry about.

Afraid I don't know much about GBArunner's specifics, though a lot of these compatibility layers and borrowed emulators, to say nothing of the GBA itself being fairly hard to emulate on the DS and even DSi, do lack in one way or another and are far from representing a flawless solution.

6. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    An answer from Gericom, developer of gbarunner2 why Sonic 1 and 2 are currently not playable.

"It tests the link hardware, which is not implemented yet and yields those boxes on test fail."