Does being on EmuNAND kill Switch's battery faster?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Francesca, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Francesca
    OP

Francesca GBAtemp Regular

Mar 17, 2015
    Armenia
    I've been constantly playing in handheld mode and it's crazy how fast the battery runs out. I don't think even my old 3DS had such poor battery life, and I could charge that one easily while playing. Here it's either dock it to continue playing or rest and go do something else.

Any factors at play that I may be unaware of here?

NoNAND likes this.
  2. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Yes since you are emulating a NAND.

3. Der_Blockbuster

Der_Blockbuster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 2, 2016
    Germany
    Bs? Or true

4. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    SX Emunand drain faster than my Atmosphere Sysnand units.

NoNAND likes this.
  5. Sumandora

Sumandora Im using Parental Controls. Change my Mind!

Nov 13, 2018
    Germany
    well it doesnt uses the real NAND so it shouldnt need more but it uses the SD Card 24/7 so this should make it more drain. so i guess this is personal experience....

6. Der_Blockbuster

Der_Blockbuster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 2, 2016
    Germany
    But you also don't use the NAND so you save power there. I can't imagine this impacting dramatically on the battery life

7. ciaomao

ciaomao GBAtemp Regular

Feb 20, 2014
    Albania
    the difference should be very low. the main power consumption is not by peripheral access.

Fabian Schuchhardt likes this.
  8. Francesca
    OP

Mar 17, 2015
    Armenia
    I've been googling on Switch's battery life and apparently 3 hours playing in handheld mode before needing to recharge seems like a common complaint. So I guess emuNAND has nothing to do with it.

NoNAND likes this.
  9. NoNAND

NoNAND GBAtemp's Official NAND/emuMMC multipurpose tool

Aug 22, 2015
    Antarctica
    Area 51
    Well @Francesca until someone more acquainted with the switch scene could shed light upon this matter we don't quite know. It could however be possible for the emuNAND to drain slightly more battery as it's running off the SD hence being emulated. As I vaguely recall my old3ds has some subtle issues with battery drain whilst running emuNAND a good long time ago.
    For all we know it could be your Switch's battery dying and emuNAND is not to blame, but then again it's a new switch right?

10. Sumandora

Sumandora Im using Parental Controls. Change my Mind!

Nov 13, 2018
    Germany
    That's what I meant but a dramatically impact is not imaginable for me either. Just was a thought

11. UselessDood

UselessDood Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2018
    United Kingdom
    It depends on your sd card. An extremely fast one, like mine, will give pretty much identical battery drain. A slower one will drain battery less, but it won't be easy to notice.

12. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    WHEN I play Zelda in handheld, the battery lasts only 3h too

13. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg GBAtemp Fan

Jul 13, 2014
    Some microSD cards draw insane amounts of power when under load. eMMC is designed to be efficient. It's totally possible there is an impact but it should be barely noticeable.

14. monkeyman4412

monkeyman4412 Gbatemp's moronic trash

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    Darn, I can't come up with something edgy
    Highly unlikely, or if it does, so negligible that it really doesn't add up.

15. Basketto

Basketto GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2019
    Australia
    Newer switch revisions are coming out that supposedly add an extra 2-2.5 hours of battery. If handheld is a big thing for you, maybe you can switch the battery if the hardware remains the same.

16. GBADWB

GBADWB GBAtemp Regular

May 12, 2016
    United States
    The gain of battery life of the new switch hardware is primarily due to the process shrink from 20nm to whatever Nintendo signed up for, and not the battery itself. It's part of the reason why the switch lite, despite having a smaller battery, has a longer run time compared to the OG one.

Fabian Schuchhardt and Basketto like this.
  17. raylgo

raylgo GBAtemp Regular

Sep 9, 2007
    Also I doubt the switch with better battery life will be hackable. Unpatched switches will soon be rare as unicorns and patched but low firmware switches will be phased out...

Wonder if Nintendo has caught on and is shipping the new version with higher firmware.

18. Francesca
    OP

Mar 17, 2015
    Armenia
    You don't think the new Switch with better battery life will be on initial firmware 4.1.0 any longer?

19. m4xw

m4xw Ancient Deity

May 25, 2018
    Germany
    Power consumption should be identical.

Bst22322 likes this.
  20. ScrPotato

ScrPotato GBAtemp Regular

Aug 3, 2019
    United States
    in your closet
    probably the latest