does AutoRCM now work on 8.0?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Sumandora, Apr 26, 2019.

1. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    No need to bicker about who said what....

Lacius likes this.
  2. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    You are right. I should have said it's not easily recoverable.

mrdude likes this.
  3. mrdude

mrdude GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 11, 2015
  4. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    What TX said is sort of misleading. It implies that 8.0 introduces an issue with AutoRCM and patched units. That issue is not firmware-dependent but the way AutoRCM works and the limitations of patched units. If you decide to enable AutoRCM on a patched unit, there is no way to recover that via software since patched units cannot accept payloads. Although there is a way to fix it, it is not something 99% of noobs can do or want to spend money fixing.

5. mattytrog

mattytrog You don`t want to listen to anything I say.

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I feel I should add, that if you DO brick a patched unit by enabling autoRCM, you can safely unbrick by installing your emmc in a hackable console (temporarily) and uninstall autoRCM, restoring functionality. Obviously, your emmc won`t boot on the hacked console due to keys. But that is the way to fix.

Then swap it back.

PHiLiPZ and Hayato213 like this.
  6. Resaec

Resaec GBAtemp Fan

Dec 19, 2017
    Germany
    I wanted to ask if this is possible for quite some time, as this came to my mind when I was wondering how to fix such bricks.
    But if you think about it, it makes sense as RCM doesn't care for your keys.

mattytrog likes this.
  7. CrisFTW

CrisFTW GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    AutoRCM when booting to Sysnand (8.0.1) when using SXOS doesn't work. Emunand boots perfectly fine for me since its on 7.0.1. I have to disable AutoRCM to boot into Sysnand

8. monkeyman4412

monkeyman4412 Gbatemp's moronic trash

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    Darn, I can't come up with something edgy
    Snipped cause I was a idiot.
    Trash didn't read the message correctly

Last edited by monkeyman4412, Apr 27, 2019
  9. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Right, but that isn't the same as autorcm bricking your unit. That is that SXOS doesn't work with 8.0.1 and you refuse to use anything other than SX OS. You could also use atmosphere to boot your 8.0.1 sysnand.

The fact you can boot your system into rcm, disable autorcm and everything loads fine means it's not a brick.

You should re-read it, the post said "This applies to patched and non patched units". TX have deleted the post by rory2005 now, I'm not sure it was ever an official piece of information. It seems more likely he just misunderstood what he'd heard.

I'm not convinced that TX did say that. There was a post by someone on their forums that said that, which has now been deleted.

Autorcm has worked fine with atmosphere on 8.0.0 and 8.0.1 and there are no changes reported that fixed it.

I think the post was a mistake by someone who wanted to sound important but didn't understand what he'd heard.

1. autorcm on patched units is a bad move no matter what firmware you are running, atmosphere have recently added a block to you installing autorcm if you're using dejavu on a patched switch. This won't change until someone invents fusee gelee 2.0 (which may never happen)

2. autorcm prevents you loading sysnand with SX OS if you have updated to 8.0.0, this is because they haven't updated their code yet & isn't even a brick. You can load sysnand if you use an alternate payload with 8.0.0 support.

In short, the answer is: yes autorcm works on 8.0.0, but then it always did. Your favourite payload may not work with 8.0.0, but then it wouldn't matter whether you used AutoRCM or RCM.

Last edited by smf, Apr 27, 2019
  10. CrisFTW

CrisFTW GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    I'll use Atmosphere when it supports emunand. Don't wanna get banned. I care about my online. Sysnand 8.0.1 is fine without AutoRCM to boot.

11. NoNAND

NoNAND GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 22, 2015
    Albania
    The other plane of existence
    Pardon my ignorance but how can anyone get to install autorcm on a patched unit?

12. Resaec

Resaec GBAtemp Fan

Dec 19, 2017
    Germany
    By running homebrew

13. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    There is a soon-to-be released browser exploit that will allow one to launch RCM payloads on patched systems on low system versions. With it, a person could install AutoRCM, which would actually brick the Switch.

NoNAND likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted