Does Arm9loaderhax Circumvent Copyright Protections?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Xenon Hacks, Jun 30, 2016.

?

Does Arm9loaderhax Circumvent Copyright Protections?

Poll closed Jun 30, 2017.
  1. Yes

30.8%
  2. No

26.9%
  3. Technically

26.9%
  4. Unsure

15.4%
  1. Xenon Hacks
    OP

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    This will probably turn into some shit storm or endless debate but does it? Also would you agree or disagree that the purpose of arm9loaderhax is to explicitly circumvent copyright protections.

2. VinsCool

VinsCool Insecure

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Honestly, I don't get your question.

Thelostrune and Red9419 like this.
  3. proflayton123

proflayton123 悲しみ

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    In a sense it does, although..

4. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Yes of course

5. Xenon Hacks
    OP

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Care to go deeper?

6. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Yes, it circumvents security. Namely the rsa signed firms that Nintendo intends to boot.

7. Xenon Hacks
    OP

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Would you agree that every CFW for the 3DS released publicly does this?

8. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    If a cfw disables one or more security features that allows unsigned code to run. Yes. ("custom" firmware basically confirms this)
    I don't think that (© circumvention) necessarily equates to piracy, but it's certainly required for piracy.

Last edited by zoogie, Jun 30, 2016
  9. chaoskagami

chaoskagami Rawr

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    Technically, yes and no. That depends on whether you consider the software provided with the 3DS to be part of the console. If it's argued in court that the software on-console is inseparable from the console, then whatever I do with the hardware is my business. If not, then yes it is circumvention. Anyways, that's for a court to decide.

Once you add a CFW to the mix, the answer is always yes - the signature check is undoubtedly copyright circumvention. Whether that's legal or not is left to the user and the laws of their own country.

Running homebrew only is undoubtedly 100% legal in the US (the portable computing device exemption), whereas in other countries even that may not be legal.

10. Xenon Hacks
    OP

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Could one consider this the same as jailbreaking an iPhone, your unlocking it to do things unintended by the manufacturer but are not providing anything illegal with it no?

11. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    An exception was made in the DMCA for jailbreaking phones. That doesn't exist for consoles.

12. chaoskagami

chaoskagami Rawr

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    I'd say it's the same thing as jailbreaking, honestly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act#Anti-circumvention_exemptions

As long as you aren't pirating off the app store or eShop, there's no problem with it.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Wrong. That was extended in 2015 to 'smartphones and portable all-purpose mobile computing devices'. You can thank the EFF for that one. Whether the 3DS classifies as such would be for debate, but I personally consider it one.

Last edited by chaoskagami, Jun 30, 2016
  13. EmperorOfCanada

EmperorOfCanada GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 4, 2008
    Canada
    Canada
    I consider it the 3ds equivalent, certainly. I Dont know how a court might interpret it.

14. Xenon Hacks
    OP

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    That's unfortunate
    I side with this more but the current laws say otherwise its to slippery

15. proflayton123

proflayton123 悲しみ

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Interesting answers along the thread^_^

16. Xenon Hacks
    OP

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Well lets say a console has a NAND backup on the SD that contains Arm9loaderhax but is not installed to the console would you consider that to enabling piracy? I know im playing 20 questions with you guys but I legitimately want to know these things.

17. chaoskagami

chaoskagami Rawr

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    I'd say a NAND dump counts as a backup under law, so as long as only one is kept for archival only, it would be okay. Then again, we all keep more than one backup I'm sure.

EmuNAND may be questionable in use depending on how Nintendo's license reads, because you're running a backup and the original.

18. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    I'm voting no. My logic behind this, is although it's most certainly CAPABLE of loading up pirate content, it can also be used to load homebrew in cia format as well, in much the same manner as jailbreaking an iphone can allow unauthorized software as well as pirate content to be loaded onto an iphone/ipod/etc. Legally it's probably grey area in the US at least, and there's probably no solid answer on it at the moment.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Do note though, that Nintendo's license has exactly zero to do with the law itself. They don't dictate what is/isn't legally allowable, but rather what's considered allowable within their terms of use (i.e. to maintain warranty, etc.)

Xenon Hacks likes this.
  19. Xenon Hacks
    OP

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    This is my thinking as well after sitting with the thought in my head but I cannot find any legal basis to support either side besides the digital millennium act. From what I get its legal but Nintendo could basically tell you to not do it because they own the console?

20. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    No, you're still wrong:
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/27/...-smart-tvs-dmca-exemption-library-of-congress

chaoskagami likes this.