ROM Hack Does anyone know how to decrypt CIA files?

zecoxao

Trophies
XP
Country
i don't think CIA files are encrypted. they're just a compressed package i guess...
decompress it with makerom tool
makerom -ciatocci path_to_cia

laramie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't think CIA files are encrypted. they're just a compressed package i guess...

I just threw it in the decryption folder, and opened a CMD window there, typed in" makerom -ciatocci_savedatafiler.cia" and got " [SETTING ERROR] Unrecognised argument '-ciatocci_savedatafiler.cia'
[RESULT] Invalid arguments, see 'makerom -help' "

laramie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
looks like you entered the argument together with the input.

Okay, I tried just inputting the command you typed, " makerom -ciatocci path_to_cia" and it said, " [MAKEROM ERROR] Failed to open: path_to_cia " why does it say it can't find the path?

zecoxao

Trophies
XP
Country
because you didn't specify the correct input...
it's not hard lol
makerom -ciatocci _savedatafiler.cia
that should do it, i think

laramie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because you didn't specify the correct input...
it's not hard lol
makerom -ciatocci _savedatafiler.cia
that should do it, i think

I've tried that one, I thought that's what it was suppose to be at first but I got this error code; " [MAKEROM ERROR] Failed to open: _savedatafiler.cia "

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's workin without undescore.
but he convert the cia to cci, and rename it to 3ds

How to extract data ?

laramie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's workin without undescore.
but he convert the cia to cci, and rename it to 3ds

How to extract data ?

Yeah, My goal is to fully decrypt this cia file, in which case is the SDF, so I can learn exactly how it works and hopefully with a lot of work, and of course a lot of hours sobbing mathematically, I can implement a save process that's not only backwards compatible with the current sate, but also to be able to extract the raw saves of saves that have experienced the 7.x save encryption.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu

i don't think there is compression. they are encrypted, unless they are user repacked without encryption

Reactions: zecoxao

zecoxao

Trophies
XP
Country
i don't think there is compression. they are encrypted, unless they are user repacked without encryption

well, most of the cias i found online, i could easily obtain the decrypted cci from then, so i'm just speaking with my own experience.
of course it can be different from what i think

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
well, most of the cias i found online, i could easily obtain the decrypted cci from then, so i'm just speaking with my own experience.
of course it can be different from what i think

no, you are correct, many cias online are done a bit cheaply and hacky (in my opinion) - that is why they don't have encryption
but my tool (FunkyCIA) makes cias in a more clean standard way, and the original files are left intact, encrypted
if we ever get any real cias straight form nintendo themselves (like the sdk dev tools) they are encrypted

Reactions: zecoxao

laramie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no, you are correct, many cias online are done a bit cheaply and hacky (in my opinion) - that is why they don't have encryption
but my tool (FunkyCIA) makes cias in a more clean standard way, and the original files are left intact, encrypted
if we ever get any real cias straight form nintendo themselves (like the sdk dev tools) they are encrypted

So then is there anyway to decrypt them? I'd imagine it'd be just like decrypting a 3ds rom, but I thought if I couldn't decrypt it in cia form, I could convert it into a 3ds format and decrypt it like a game...

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, My goal is to fully decrypt this cia file, in which case is the SDF, so I can learn exactly how it works and hopefully with a lot of work, and of course a lot of hours sobbing mathematically, I can implement a save process that's not only backwards compatible with the current sate, but also to be able to extract the raw saves of saves that have experienced the 7.x save encryption.

The .csu versions of the dev tools from the BigBlueBox pack are all already decrypted, and .csu virtually identical to .cci/.3ds, just with a different file extension. You can extract their contents without any decryption process needed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1