• Total voters

nintendopower64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone feel that when they pirate a game, wii, pc, or any other console, that its not the same? Like when you pay money for a game theres a bigger disire to beat the game?

when i get games for free, if i dont like it i download a new one. Fast and simple. When i buy a game i feel becuase i spent money on it i need to try and finish it, because i put my worth into it.

BiscuitBee

Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Nice try NINTENDO. I see through your cunning plan.

EDIT (On-Topic)
I believe one would feel more inclined to get-what-they-paid-for - trying to squeeze every ounce of fun out of a game.

In conclusion: Pirate Syndrome (Another EDIT: Just for the record, Demonbart beat me to this point, I was in edit mode while he posted it)
Guild McCommunist said:
Do you pirate games? If so, it's what I call Pirate Syndrome. I get it a lot. With lots of games accessible at any time, you find yourself bored of games quickly, since you know you can always find 5 more in their place. Really, maybe those games just weren't for you. Every now and then I'm sure there'll be a game that sucks you in until the end. I'm rather picky myself with games so I know how you feel.

Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
That's what everyone has, it's called the pirate's syndrome.
I had this in a really weird way, cuz when I was playing the J version of SoulSilver I stopped after the Ice Path cuz I didn't feel like grinding for Clair.
That was in december. Now I got my retail copy I got past Clair after four days of playing just because I felt more motivaation to actually go on.
My parents think it's weird, they're like: you can get games for free, why'd you pay for 'em?
They don't understand how hard a pirates life is.

D

Deleted User

That's one of the reasons why I still buy a lot of games and didn't hack my 360 at all.

referencer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Perceived value adds to your enjoyment of goods. If you worked your entire life to gain one game, you would cherish and enjoy it far beyond anyone else who played the game, even if it was terrible. On the other hand, if you get the game through no effort of your own at all, you'll care far less about it than you would otherwise and your enjoyment will depend purely on the game itself, and a lot of games just aren't good enough to elicit a lasting positive reaction unless there's some outside value attributed to them like that.

nintendopower64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad to see i dont feel this alone. lol

I like free.....but i also like motivation.
I have a supercard, and i downloaded a modded pokemon red with harder pokemon levels etc. its nice, i like the fact that i can fastforward through text ive read. So piracey has some advantages.....

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I feel the same, I don't tend to finish the games I have downloaded but I always finish most (not the PC ones) that I buy. I didn't pirate one game when the Gamecube was in its active period and I feel that I got more life out of those titles just to get my moneys worth, also I managed to discover little easter eggs here and there in them.

Of course living in Europe I tend to finish most games before they're actually out in the shops.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I feel this way with games I've bought too. I get bored if it doesn't entertain me (most games I get bored of, I have very high standards when it comes to games
happy.gif
)

D

Deleted_171835

Yep, I do. I don't have the motivation to finish most games I pirate.
It feels different than purchasing a game. I'm more motivated to complete a game I purchased to get my money's worth.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I end up doing the opposite...

I bought ton's of PS1 and PS2 games, hardly finished any because I always had piles of games and could never decide what ones to play.

on my flashcard I keep only a few games in a folder called "playing" and just focus on those.

Leo Cantus

So zeta slow!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah I do feel like that sometimes.
Say for example a buy a game and never get round to finishing it or playing it much I'll think to myself "well I spent money on it so I may as well give it a try". But if I pirate a game and I don't really care

VLinh

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ITs a weird feeling for sure. Ive experienced this while playing SMT: Strange Journey. The game's great and all, but deep down I get the feeling not to even bother playing it.

But at least I bought SoulSilver and enjoyed the hell out of it. Maybe if game prices werent so damm high for people without jobs or not enough money, the syndrome wouldnt dissapear....

Overall I agree, the syndrome is in effect =P

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lol i have close to 200 Wii games and over 200 DS games that i've pirated and i've only finished maybe 20 of them and played maybe 2 hours or less on the rest...but with PS3 i still buy all my games and i will sit through each one and earn every single trophy(if they have trophies) =P

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah and i hate this syndrome
i really like finishing games but I tend to get very bored and download another one.
but the GameCube, which cannot be modded at that time here in the philippines, because, well it wasnt famous enough.
I only got 11 GC games, and i played them all to the very end.
unlike my wii and 360. 2 DVD case full of games, and I haven't been able to finish any.(well except for a few, SMG for example)

on the side note, i burned a windwaker copy and played it on the wii. The game rocks and it just sucked me in everytime. though the savefile corrupted and i hate going trough things again so im giving it a few months to forget the game and play it again.

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So many good games, I just get bored of 'em, I try to keep a backlog every time i start i game so I can go back to em
biggrin.gif

So far i have 9 un-finished games that need attention, I'm trying to finish GoW:CoO which is one of 'em

millenium6000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
the other thing that keeps us from playing are probably cheats since it decreases the difficulty and challenge and maybe because every new game that comes out feels like playing that game and leaving an unfinished one behind.
oh, and I finish my (pirated and original) games first and when things get boring and feels like there's nothing to do, I play other games and play that game again if I have time, i am bored or I miss the game. And if i bought that game and downloaded it because i gave it or it is destroyed, I feel normal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    13,600 MB/s though
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I got a 980 pro iirc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soldigms been pretty solid
    yeh 980 pro
    good enough tbf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/gMNhZNI never heard about them but reviews are good
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Crucial SSDs work fine. I have one installed in my Xbox.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reviews seem positive.
    I believe I had some Patriot RAM running in a computer somewhere
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $250 is pretty solid considering
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With the refund it'll be about $150
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6tb nvme pc ftw
    500 GB NVMe, 750 GB
    SATA SSD 1 TB HDD
    honestly I don't play pc games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Once I buy this I'll be around 20tb worth of storage tho if we're talking all my drives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All this crap I got and all I do is pick up the GabeDick to fiddle with his happy stick
    idk the total storage cap I have
    50 TB orso
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I don't play PC games often. Mostly its all 90s-00s games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hm doing research quite possible my issue with this drive is bios related not detecting it fully
    run crystaldisk?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't think it would do much if gnome live even sees it as 2mb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vmd issue possibly
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Vmd issue possibly