Does a system transfer transfer the firmware as well?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Starzboy77, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Starzboy77
    OP

Starzboy77 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2004
    United States
    I have a 5.1 blue 3ds XL. Like new condition. Was thinking of purchasing a new one and doing a system transfer and then returning the older one or I may trade one on craigslist but need to know if the system transfer would also upgrade the firmware on the other 3DS? I have an ambassador 3ds with Fire Emblem and PM:SS downloaded on it as well so I don't want to lose that.

2. Starzboy77
    OP

Starzboy77 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2004
    United States
    Nevermind, I found out that you DO need to update both to the latest firmware. Wow, I may need to buy another 3DS XL. I may just wait though. Hopefully 4.5 won't be the end all.

3. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    4.5.x had a kernel-mode exploit that was fixed in 5.x, and as far as we know another one like it was not found. It is not going to be a simple update like normal flash carts do, so I would not assume that Gateway will work on later than 4.5.x until it actually does.

4. _V1qY

_V1qY GBAtemp Regular

May 31, 2012
    So wait, if the exploit is already known and patched by Nintendo, why the fuck haven't they released it so that everyone can use it, even if homebrew tools aren't yet available? Surely it can only speed up the process if it's made open. Rydian

5. back25

back25 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2012
    who release, what, why?

6. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    'Cause not everybody has the same mindset?

SuzieJoeBob likes this.