Hacking Does a Banner checker exist yet?

Frostiikin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i've heard a lot to get BootMii on your wii to prevent banner bricking... One problem. I'm on a Wii U, so that'll brick my vwii from what i've heard. Basically, i'm looking for a way to check files before installation, or have a backup just in case of emergency similar to bootmii. Thanks for your time.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use a NAND dump with Dolphin and install the title to it, then boot the system menu. If it doesn't crash and you see the channel icon then it's fine.

Priiloader can protect against banner bricks since it loads before the system menu.

Reactions: x65943

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you can also use neek for vWii, but it might be harder to setup than dolphin.
with neek, you might have a better check as it's done directly of the real hardware. sometime, emulators are less critical with bugs.
But I guess in that case, the system menu will just "banner brick" the same way on dolphin? it's not a crash that the emulator can prevent, but the way the system menu is designed.

I don't know if dolphin works with vWii dumps. someone will probably answer that :P
I'll move your thread to WiiU section, as it's confusing and suggesting priiloader is not a good idea on WiiU.

as for a banner checker, it would be like the emulator :
There is a "banner player" but it's not using the official system menu functions to read it, it's coded by reverse engineering how a banner is working, and the homebrew code might have a more stable reader and bug prevention checks than the official one from nintendo :P
some bugs might not trigger a banner brick, some functions are not implemented (Wii24C, like mario kart, vote channel, etc.), some channels doesn't work as intended (castlevania displays in japanese).
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiSystemMenuPlayer
https://code.google.com/archive/p/wii-banner-player/

Last edited by Cyan,

Frostiikin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, sorry lol, I didn't exactly know where to put this because vwii d=
Anyways, thanks! I'm gonna start using dolphin to test stuff out b4 installing just for safety.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Erm... Problem. Idk how to get a wii system menu on dolphin.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Like I said, I don't know if dolphin works with a vWii system. if you have a Wii, you can use this one instead, it will have the same behavior to verify your channels.

You need to make a full copy of your Wii's internal system. Dolphin will use it as if it was your internal Wii content. this is what is called a "EmuNAND", it's just a NAND's content copy.
There are different ways to do it. SimpleFS Dumper is probably the easiest, but I don't have a link right now. it extracts all your files to SD's root. if you already have files on your SD, it will be a mess and you won't know which files or folder have been extracted.
What I like is to use USBLoaderGX>settings>dump NAND > full, it will make a copy in sd:/nand/ folder. it's cleaner as it's in a subfolder, you don't have to know which folder or file you have to copy into dolphin's NAND copy folder.

I've never used dolphin, so I don't know if it has a channel installer. if not, you can use ShowMiiWads program (in NAND mode) to edit/install/delete channels.

Last edited by Cyan,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, sorry lol, I didn't exactly know where to put this because vwii d=
Anyways, thanks! I'm gonna start using dolphin to test stuff out b4 installing just for safety.

Erm... Problem. Idk how to get a wii system menu on dolphin.

Use an extracted NAND dump and copy the files to your Dolphin documents folder in the "Wii" folder. Do not overwrite the SYSCONF file that's already there. Once that's done you should see an option called "Load Wii system menu" in the Tools menu. If you use a newer developer Dolphin version rather than the installer you don't even have to extract the NAND bin file. The emulator can do it for you. I think a clean NAND generated by ModMii should also work.

It actually only the small channel icon that goes in a menu slot that is the problem. The full screen animation won't cause a banner brick because it's only loaded once you click on the channel. Why Nintendo didn't put a guard in the menu to catch bad icons is beyond me. :P

Last edited by GreyWolf,
Reactions: Cyan

Frostiikin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a nand dump already, so i'll copy that. Thanks!
Edit : I have a NAND.bin and a keys.bin, how do I extract them? I'm guessing that's why they aren't working when I put them in the wii folder.

Last edited by Frostiikin,

Frostiikin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd really like to install some more wads relatively soon, but am just worried about a brick. Also, if I do get a brick, is there a way to fix it using the wiiu side of the wii u?

Also, how do I use the wii system menu player? Whenever I boot it and go back to system menu, it's identical to the normal one (Doesn't have the wad files I put in banners folder)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
why not just use emuNAND directly instead of installing wads to the real, 512MB limited, console's memory ?
you'll install wad to the nand copy (in a folder on your SD for example), and use a game loader to launch them, it will redirect all NAND access requests to SD's NAND copy.

you'll get 6TB of free space (ok, don't use that much space, but a 32GB SD card is plenty enough, more than 512MB), and you won't risk a brick.
the only issue is that few games are not working and will need "neek" mode, which require a little more hacking steps.

emuNAND is very easy with usbloadergx, if you already have cIOS d2x installed :
- launch the loader
- dump the nand (settings>features>dump nand>full). this step done only once.
- install wads (settings>features>wad manager). this step done once per game.
- launch the game (top menu > enable emuNAND channels listing)

https://gbatemp.net/posts/6592730

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: XFlak

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/