Hardware Dock extra CPU/GPU?

alpha_noj

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel this is unlikely, but I'm hoping the dock has some extra power behind it to make using it as a home console more worthwhile. The dock isn't very large, but does have some bulk in the back. Anyone think it's plausible?

Either way, I'm pretty intrigued/excited for the system, and the dream of a more HD Monster Hunter while being both console and on the go makes my mouth water.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I'm 95% sure the dock has a secondary GPU in it, otherwise I don't see the point of it being that big for just carrying an HDMI and power connection
Someone at Nintendo clarified that's not the case (I don't have the source with me). All of the Switch's brains are on the display unit -- which makes sense. It'd be inefficient and costly to spread multiple chips over different units. That doesn't mean the system can't be upclocked, or extra hardware on the display unit activated, while it's docked though.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That doesn't mean the system can't be upclocked, or extra hardware on the display unit activated, while it's docked though.
From a computer engineering perspective that makes sense, but the designer in me wants to scream if that's the case because of all the wasted space/plastic that's going into the dock. If that is the case they should have just had it laying horizontally and with thinner front/back pieces ;-;

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Someone at Nintendo clarified that's not the case (I don't have the source with me). All of the Switch's brains are on the display unit -- which makes sense. It'd be inefficient and costly to spread multiple chips over different units. That doesn't mean the system can't be upclocked, or extra hardware on the display unit activated, while it's docked though.
I don't doubt that the CPU and such would be on the display unit (as the computer world considers the CPU as the brains), but some brawn could be in the dock. I mean, if we are to go over the various patents that led to what we've seen now, we can't simply dismiss the one regarding the SCD. I'm already looking over images of the complete package, and if the dock is only for charging and HDMI output, then why are there USB ports on the side of the dock? I feel that there is more that isn't being said.

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The SCD could be added later, maybe next year or so. It is always a possibility, but at this time the Nintendo Switch "tablet" has all the computing power (tegra) and the dock is simply just for TV connectivity.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From a computer engineering perspective that makes sense, but the designer in me wants to scream if that's the case because of all the wasted space/plastic that's going into the dock. If that is the case they should have just had it laying horizontally and with thinner front/back pieces ;-;
I think the dock acts as a heat sink.

In tablet mode, run at lower speeds, and use passive cooling.
In console mode, run at higher speeds, and probably still use passive cooling, but with more cooling capacity.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States

In console mode, run at higher speeds, and probably still use passive cooling, but with more cooling capacity.
I did notice that the top of the display unit looks like it has a vent.

Andim

Trophies
XP
Country

gutoblauth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Probably it will have some chip for upscaling, like PS4 Pro works. (1440p native 4K upscale)

I think the tablet/Switch is 720p native and the dock upscales it up to 4K 30fps (4K for Netflix and other things, not gaming maybe)

Enviado de meu XT1572 usando Tapatalk

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I feel this is unlikely, but I'm hoping the dock has some extra power behind it to make using it as a home console more worthwhile. The dock isn't very large, but does have some bulk in the back. Anyone think it's plausible?

Either way, I'm pretty intrigued/excited for the system, and the dream of a more HD Monster Hunter while being both console and on the go makes my mouth water.
I'm thinking it probably goes into a power-saving mode, because the framerate did drop on Zelda when it was undocked.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think there will be a base cpu to accomdate basic functions, and a soc like gpu with more power. Need some horse power.

styckx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Kinda disappointing. Basically switch is a handheld on steroids.. If all the horsepower is coming from the display unit then I don't see this thing running many, if any modern AAA games. If may run cute Nintendo games nicely but just off logic alone of what kind of hardware they can cram in that display unit I don't see this thing pushing anything like Rise Of The Tomb Raider etc without severe crippling of visuals.

I really pray Nintendo is getting back to the basics of what made Nintendo great to begin with and flood this thing quality exclusives ..

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

These are my thoughts exactly. When portable it'll likely run at lower speeds to preserve battery time whereas when it's connected to the dock it should be possible to disable power-saving functions and possibly also provide cooling through the dock.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo continued: "The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch. The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system."

Still space in there for secondary functionality. Maybe not more power, but looks promising. Amiibo?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
. All of the Switch's brains are on the display unit
they didn't clearly said "all of them" are in the tablet (what's the proper name? " unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from"? too long), they said the tablet was the "main" unit.
It doesn't exclude extra power from the TV dock to process a higher definition picture, USB support, and all other and possible improvements it could provide.
Like Nvidia SLI with dual/additional card "on the fly".

edit: oh, ninja'd.
I should read the full thread before replying to early posts :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/ET4pF4XcvUU?si=kDfZWTQ8q0ayUtvO lol Michael Mathers