Dock extra CPU/GPU?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by alpha_noj, Oct 21, 2016.

1. alpha_noj
    OP

alpha_noj GBAtemp Regular

May 29, 2009
    United States
    I feel this is unlikely, but I'm hoping the dock has some extra power behind it to make using it as a home console more worthwhile. The dock isn't very large, but does have some bulk in the back. Anyone think it's plausible?

Either way, I'm pretty intrigued/excited for the system, and the dream of a more HD Monster Hunter while being both console and on the go makes my mouth water.

2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I'm 95% sure the dock has a secondary GPU in it, otherwise I don't see the point of it being that big for just carrying an HDMI and power connection

3. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Someone at Nintendo clarified that's not the case (I don't have the source with me). All of the Switch's brains are on the display unit -- which makes sense. It'd be inefficient and costly to spread multiple chips over different units. That doesn't mean the system can't be upclocked, or extra hardware on the display unit activated, while it's docked though.

4. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    From a computer engineering perspective that makes sense, but the designer in me wants to scream if that's the case because of all the wasted space/plastic that's going into the dock. If that is the case they should have just had it laying horizontally and with thinner front/back pieces ;-;

gnmmarechal, alpha_noj and zoogie like this.
  5. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    I don't doubt that the CPU and such would be on the display unit (as the computer world considers the CPU as the brains), but some brawn could be in the dock. I mean, if we are to go over the various patents that led to what we've seen now, we can't simply dismiss the one regarding the SCD. I'm already looking over images of the complete package, and if the dock is only for charging and HDMI output, then why are there USB ports on the side of the dock? I feel that there is more that isn't being said.

6. Pecrow

Pecrow GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 23, 2015
    United States
    The SCD could be added later, maybe next year or so. It is always a possibility, but at this time the Nintendo Switch "tablet" has all the computing power (tegra) and the dock is simply just for TV connectivity.

7. Justinde75

Justinde75 VGM Addict

Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    Iwatodai Dorm
    It would probably need extra power to display the games in a high quality.

8. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    I think the dock acts as a heat sink.

In tablet mode, run at lower speeds, and use passive cooling.
    In console mode, run at higher speeds, and probably still use passive cooling, but with more cooling capacity.

9. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    I did notice that the top of the display unit looks like it has a vent.

10. Andim

Andim GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    NOPE

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/10/...nintendo-switch-clarifies-additional-features

11. gutoblauth

gutoblauth Member

Newcomer
    Apr 20, 2009
    Brazil
    Probably it will have some chip for upscaling, like PS4 Pro works. (1440p native 4K upscale)

I think the tablet/Switch is 720p native and the dock upscales it up to 4K 30fps (4K for Netflix and other things, not gaming maybe)

Enviado de meu XT1572 usando Tapatalk

12. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    I'm thinking it probably goes into a power-saving mode, because the framerate did drop on Zelda when it was undocked.

TotalInsanity4 and alpha_noj like this.
  13. Yil

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    I think there will be a base cpu to accomdate basic functions, and a soc like gpu with more power. Need some horse power.

14. styckx

styckx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2014
    United States
    Kinda disappointing. Basically switch is a handheld on steroids.. If all the horsepower is coming from the display unit then I don't see this thing running many, if any modern AAA games. If may run cute Nintendo games nicely but just off logic alone of what kind of hardware they can cram in that display unit I don't see this thing pushing anything like Rise Of The Tomb Raider etc without severe crippling of visuals.

I really pray Nintendo is getting back to the basics of what made Nintendo great to begin with and flood this thing quality exclusives ..

15. Minox

Minox Spytech Employee

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    These are my thoughts exactly. When portable it'll likely run at lower speeds to preserve battery time whereas when it's connected to the dock it should be possible to disable power-saving functions and possibly also provide cooling through the dock.

TotalInsanity4 and heartgold like this.
  16. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    The dock obviously has some functionality they're not telling us, since it has USB ports.

17. gutoblauth

gutoblauth Member

Newcomer
    Apr 20, 2009
    Brazil
    Smash + GC controller.

Enviado de meu XT1572 usando Tapatalk

18. Urbanshadow

Urbanshadow GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 16, 2015
    Still space in there for secondary functionality. Maybe not more power, but looks promising. Amiibo?

19. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    they didn't clearly said "all of them" are in the tablet (what's the proper name? " unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from"? too long), they said the tablet was the "main" unit.
    It doesn't exclude extra power from the TV dock to process a higher definition picture, USB support, and all other and possible improvements it could provide.
    Like Nvidia SLI with dual/additional card "on the fly".

edit: oh, ninja'd.
    I should read the full thread before replying to early posts :P

DrkBeam and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  20. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    They do want to keep price down and they not even selling for a lost. Nothing stopping from selling a enhancing dock later on, tho.