Do you use a password manager?

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to have them split up between Chrome and LastPass, but after LastPass decided to charge a fee to use on multiple devices I transferred all of my logins to Bitwarden. And I switched from Chrome to Brave (mainly for the BATs though it's a really good browser in general).

Bitwarden has been absolutely fantastic to me. Like, I had about 2000 logins and now I'm down to 200 and trying to slim it down even more with websites I no longer use.

Plus, I've activated 2FA on every website/app for extra protection.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I use Bitwarden, I might have been willing to continue with Lastpass under their old fee, but not when they increased it.

My dad uses a book…..it’s a pain waiting for him to find the specific password which is usually a terrible one at that.

I’ve been trying to coax another person to use one, unfortunately they don’t and just stick to the same 1 or 2 simple passwords…..and guess who will have to clean up the mess if/when something happens.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My dad uses a book…..it’s a pain waiting for him to find the specific password which is usually a terrible one at that.
I was made aware that about two dozens of passwords I've not used in years were leaked, so what I do? Export my Bitwarden list to .csv and find the password and then replace/delete (if the website didn't exist anymore).

Dude, I get your dad thinks it's the safest system to keep his passwords protected, but if it happens to him, he may end up spending an hour trying to find leaked passwords of his.

I use Google's tbh, they may be evil but I'm in for the convenience.

Some people save passwords on Chrome, Firefox, a physical diary, and god knows where so their passwords are all over the place, though if you keep it under one "roof" then it's fine.

I've tried to get rid of Google services except I can't completely because I use an Android and the apps need to be updated safely. Plus, YouTube too which I use a lot (via PS4 these days).

Reactions: Metal64

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I use post it notes in a drawer for ones I don't use often. Everything else is memorised and if I ever start to get dementia I'll be fucked.
I've made a bunch of my own passwords to be some very vulgar sentences written in French so I'm really fucked if I forget anything, considering I would be the only one to even remember any of this by heart lol

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I was made aware that about two dozens of passwords I've not used in years were leaked, so what I do? Export my Bitwarden list to .csv and find the password and then replace/delete (if the website didn't exist anymore).

Dude, I get your dad thinks it's the safest system to keep his passwords protected, but if it happens to him, he may end up spending an hour trying to find leaked passwords of his.

I think it's less for security and more out of habit/laziness.

As for your passwords, might be the easiest way if it was a reused password.

Deleted member 114266

Trophies
XP
I use Keepass with automated syncing on unlock and save to several online drives with different providers on my PC. I use a browser plugin that works just like LastPass or Bitwarden.

On mobile, I purchased a Keepass app and access an online storage copy. This ties into the OSes password management APIs and also can work as a keyboard for apps that don't support those APIs. This functions the same as the LassPass and Bitwarden apps.

This gives you control of the database, and you aren't limited to just a password to encrypt it. You can also use a several KB file with random data as a key. Don't put this online anywhere, just manually transfer it to a device.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yup, bitwarden here. I use the same password for the rubbish sites I use, ones I don't care about, all the important ones ebay, amazon, basically anything that has personal details or money has a 25 character different complex password.

Reactions: Oleboy555

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I like open source, so iam not limited to one service provider. In this way i use Keepass on my Linux and Windows systems and syncronizing them with a database on my NAS. Webdave is also supported. For autofill in Browser are plugins available. There are a lot of plugins for different puposes, as example open a database with a keyfile instead password.

Reactions: RednaxelaNnamtra

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yup, bitwarden here. I use the same password for the rubbish sites I use, ones I don't care about, all the important ones ebay, amazon, basically anything that has personal details or money has a 25 character different complex password.
I don't even know 90% of my passwords x3

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I should write some passwords down on paper but I only have the most important ones done that way.
They're somewhere not in me house where I know they're safe.

Password retrieval exists for a reason.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Should probably be its own thread, but anyone concerned that no one seems to have important data stored in their brain anymore? When I was young I had every phone number I knew memorised and it wasn't really considered difficult to do so. Nowadays, I have to look in my mobile to even find my own number let alone anyone in my family.

2DSGamerdude

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
well, for macs, there's 1Password manager which is great to keep/store/ etc passwords and it can make you new ones using it's generator, which can be as complex as possble, so you can;t be hacked ever, so complex that ever i can't remeber the passwords, lol but the master passowrd need to even open the 1password maanger, lol if you forgot that, you'd be super screwed, as how can you get into the manager since it is locked with the masterpassword.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Should probably be its own thread, but anyone concerned that no one seems to have important data stored in their brain anymore? When I was young I had every phone number I knew memorised and it wasn't really considered difficult to do so. Nowadays, I have to look in my mobile to even find my own number let alone anyone in my family.

It will be a combination of not needing to remember information and increased requirements.

I only remember my phone number because at one point I was giving it out all the time and I have dozens of websites with passwords like this:
GFf!YzKAmtgknRi!y38#

Not exactly easy to remember, that said, I remember the Wifi password because of the amount of times I've had to enter it.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It will be a combination of not needing to remember information and increased requirements.

I only remember my phone number because at one point I was giving it out all the time and I have dozens of websites with passwords like this:
GFf!YzKAmtgknRi!y38#

Not exactly easy to remember, that said, I remember the Wifi password because of the amount of times I've had to enter it.
I'm just hoping our over-reliance on tech isn't misplaced.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for your passwords, might be the easiest way if it was a reused password.

The problem with easy passwords is that if reused for multiple accounts a hacker won't have any issues accessing the content.

important data stored in their brain

True, but it's not easy to remember passwords like jP5A2#Gt@g so I have to rely on a password manager.

Reactions: Metal64

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮